Thread: Need a little help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need a little help

My brother has a Savage 112 BVSS in .223 that he leaves with me. Over the winter I ordered a SSS single shot follower because he only shoots paper and the internal magazine was inconvenient. Installation seemed easy enough. I removed the internal magazine and placed the single shot follower in the receiver in the opening. It fit perfectly and I put the barreled action back into the stock and torqued up the bolts. Everything looked fine.

Today we finally got to the club. The rifle displayed some issues. Closing the bolt OFTEN caused the firing pin to release and the Accutriger to be firm in its place. On the occasions when the firing pin stayed in place, the slightest touch of the trigger seemed to drop the firing pin (you could hear it) but the round would not fire. There was no indent in the primer. These two things happened repeatedly.

When I got home I pulled the barreled action out of the stock and everything looked fine. I tried to cycle the bolt and dry fire the gun but the same two things happened intermittently. It never functioned normally.

Anyone have any idea what went wrong and/or how to fix this?

adjust the trigger spring preload.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Yes.. As Robin said. Put it back to where it was before you adjusted it to be lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes.. As Robin said. Put it back to where it was before you adjusted it to be lighter.
    I didn't adjust anything, merely installed the SSS adaptor. Do you have a link to show how to adjust the trigger spring preload?

EDIT: Never mind, I was able to find it on the net. Now all I have to do is locate an adjustment tool.

Banned
    LOL.. no, I was J/K with you. You actually don’t need the little tool…just turn it by hand, with your fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    LOL.. no, I was J/K with you. You actually don’t need the little tool…just turn it by hand, with your fingertips.
    Looks like you were correct about the trigger spring. The fingertip idea worked but would only turn the spring a small amout. Fortunately, the little tool arrived quickly. I had no problem getting the trigger working properly again and it is currently set at 1.5lbs. I'd be interested in knowing two things as I moved forward.

1. What is the recommended trigger pull weight range for the Accutrigger? I don't want it set too light.

2. What is the recommended torque spec for the action bolts on the 112 BVSS w/ laminated stock?