Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
Shaw barrels are fine, yes. No, they are not the top out there, however, many have shown to be outstanding shooters!

I have to ask.. Why on Earth would you want a shorter throat chamber? What cartridge are we talking about here? Best thing is to contact them. They will likely give you the SAAMI specs on the Chamber Reamer they use. I doubt they can go shorter. That would require a custom Reamer, which on second thought, perhaps they would do that. But you’d be looking at double the cost at least. (Price if new Reamer & Barrel). Best to contact them directly. Try to speak to a Tech., not a sales rep.
Well, it wouldn't make so much difference if they stayed the same but they keep getting longer as you shoot. My 223 Axis was very accurate up until the last few times I shot it. It used to be anywhere from 3/8"-3/4" depending on the bullets and if I was doing a good job. I have done better than that several times but I consider it a fluke when I get much below 3/8" with any bullet. Now about the best groups are 3/4" no matter what bullet. I just measured the distance to lands relative to recommended OAL for a specific bullet. The 77 grain Sierra is almost .300" off the lands at 2.26". I know you can seat them longer than that but even seating them way longer than what is supposed to be is still way off the lands. I really don't think the closeness to the lands is nearly as important as I once thought, some bullets shoot better with quite a jump but I would think there is a limit. I was also shocked to find out how much the throat has eroded. On 20 Jun 2021 the OAL of the 77 grain Sierra was 2.484" and today it is 2.552 with the bullet touching the lands. That is a lot of wear. I do shoot a fair amount but I know the rifle couldn't have 2500 rounds through it and I am pretty sure it would be closer to 2000, if that much. I am beginning to think the drop in accuracy is due to the barrel getting worn.