Thread: barrel nut does not fit.

Team Savage

barrel nut does not fit.

Just bought a small shank savage action and a 6.5 PRC magnum contour carbon barrel for small shank. I have two nuts. Neither will go all way over the muzzle to threads and both screw on breech end about 1/2 inch and stop.

One is slightly larger than other and goes down further but not all way to threads.

What kind of barrel nut do I need and how to tell if it will fit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barrel nut.jpg  

Banned
    What barrel nuts do you have? The size is 1-1/16x20, but the threads are cut between 1.055”-1.060” by various tolerances & manufacturers.

Does the barrel thread into the Action without problem? If you have older factory barrel nuts, you could try an aftermarket machined. Look in the articles here & you’ll see about every barrel nut made.

If it goes on 1/2" then the thread is correct. Take some 220 sandpaper and wrap it around the threads and twist back in forth to remove a few .001"'s from the diameter. Clean well and try the nuts again. Repeat until it works. This is not a bad thing, just a little extra trouble.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

One other thing, feel inside the nut for burs. You might need to dremel with a wire brush.

Team Savage
    Might take the "high points" off the barrel threads with emery cloth.
    I've had to do that a couple of times.
    Depends on who cut the barrel threads. No 2 are alike.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

One is slightly larger than other and goes down further but not all way to threads.
    What does this mean?

Basic Member
    First make sure the threads are nice and clean. When I took my barrels off the first time it took a while to get all the grit out of the barrel and receiver threads. I even had to resort to a pick tool to get some stubborn bits out.

Even after that the feel was a bit 'gritty'. I put some good oil on the threads and ran the nut over the threads back and forth until smooth all the way up the barrel. I did the same with the barrel in the receiver. Once it felt smooth I installed and head spaced the barrel.

Basic Member
    If I read that correctly, I think he is trying to thread it on from the muzzle end.....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    Well, that would completely explain it. Is that it OP? Are you threading the barrel nut on from the muzzle? You need to threes the barrel nut on from the breech. The non-threaded portion of the barrel nut goes on first and slides over the barrel threads, the the threading will catch.

This video shows proper way at 53 seconds into video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYEQSGaGQV0

Team Savage
    I tried both ways to see IF the nut would slide down the barrel to the threads. Neither would. one nut goes in like the pic above Other nut engages threads and stops immediately. Both are small shank nuts.

I have looked at the threads on barrel and nuts and cannot see anything visually

I tried fully seating the barrel in the action and when it stops I can look in action and still see threads visible so beginning to sound like something with threads on barrel. action was blueprinted

Banned
    I think maybe you should take it to a gunsmith, or try to find someone near you who is more knowledgeable.

EDIT:
    I agree with what Robin posted, #3. There’s no trick. The nut is installed from the breech, not the muzzle. Sometimes the threads are too tight due to manufacturing tolerances. In which case light sandpaper can be used on the barrel threads or threads in the nut to take the edges off. Maybe 400grit. If it still won’t work there is an issue that requires a trained eye.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    If I read that correctly, I think he is trying to thread it on from the muzzle end.....
    Yep, That is what I thought after posting twice with solutions to a non existing problem.

There’s no trick. The nut is installed from the breech, not the muzzle. Sometimes the threads are too tight due to manufacturing tolerances. In which case light sandpaper can be used on the barrel threads or threads in the nut to take the edges off. Maybe 400grit. If it still won’t work there is an issue that requires a trained eye.
    Hey I posted that in #3. Why don't you guys read the posts!!!!!

LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Yep, That is what I thought after posting twice with solutions to a nHey I posted that in #3. Why don't you guys read the posts!!!!!
    LOL
    I apologize. I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I apologize. I missed that.
    It don't matter Dave. We are all hear learning and/or helping!

Quote Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
    I tried both ways to see IF the nut would slide down the barrel to the threads. Neither would. one nut goes in like the pic above Other nut engages threads and stops immediately. Both are small shank nuts.

I have looked at the threads on barrel and nuts and cannot see anything visually

I tried fully seating the barrel in the action and when it stops I can look in action and still see threads visible so beginning to sound like something with threads on barrel. action was blueprinted
    I'm reading this and just shaking my head. It's obvious that you do not have an understanding
    of changing out barrels on Savage rifles. It worries me more that if you do figure it out, now you
    have head spacing to deal with. Not to be rude here but, take it to a gunsmith and all your body
    parts will thank you later.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

I agree. Take it to a gunsmith and get it installed or see if there’s someone here local to you that you can meet up with so they can show you or help you with it.

Where are you located?

Have you swapped barrels before or is this your first attempt?

You said you just bought the barrel… Why don’t you sent it back if you feel it’s a barrel issue? Those barrel nuts should spin on pretty easily and the barrel should spin onto the action pretty easily. Take a wire brush to the threads to make sure there’s no burrs or anything in the threads and try it again. The fact you said the nuts won’t thread on and it also won’t thread into the action far enough then it is most like the barrel.

Can you please post pics of the barrel threads and BOTH barrel nuts? I’m confused when you say one of them is larger than the other. Sounds like you have both a large shank and a small shank barrel nut, or one is an aftermarket one without the grooves for the nut wrench?

New or used barrel?
    Last edited by pdog06; 03-08-2023 at 09:50 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    I'm reading this and just shaking my head. It's obvious that you do not have an understanding
    of changing out barrels on Savage rifles. It worries me more that if you do figure it out, now you
    have head spacing to deal with. Not to be rude here but, take it to a gunsmith and all your body
    parts will thank you later.
    Thank you Fuj’. I was trying to hint that, LOL… I just didn’t want to be the only one. Individuals need to understand when they are in over their head & need to seek the help of someone more knowledgeable.

Fear the Darwin Effect.