Thread: Used Savage Model 12 F/TR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Used Savage Model 12 F/TR

So, I recently found a used Model 12 F/TR (308) and have been thinking of buying it. I just am not that familiar with Model 12's. It looks to be in really good condition though, and I have bought used Savage rifles before with great success.
    Is anyone here familiar with this model, that would be willing to share some information? Just anything to look for, or that may be different from other models. I did notice that this barrel has a threaded brake on it, and I didn't think these had a brake since it was basically a factoryF-class gun. Maybe early models were made with a brake??? Like I said, I'm not familiar with this model at all. As far as I know it is the factory barrel...maybe the owner just had it threaded and a brake made for it?

I spoke with a few guys at the shop, and none of the ones I spoke with took it in used, and didn't know anything other than they've had it a very short time.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Basic Member
    I shoot a Mod. 12 LRPV in .204 and 2 Mod 12 FV's that have had a lot of stuff done to them in 20 Practical. Depending on Price it could be a real deal for you. My 12's have been incredible shooters. If the barrel has been shot out it's a easy fix with a precut barrel from Shilen or any barrel maker of your preference or even change the caliber that takes the same bolt face of the .308. I see from the pictures it's got the red target trigger that is easy to set to the pull you like. Just depends I guess on what your willing to spend. Good luck.

Banned
    That is a fantastic Savage. That Savage Action, being the port style, single shot, is favored as the most accurate of Savage Actions. It’s a Large Shank & already comes with some goodies.. the Target trigger, oversized bolt handle, upgraded Laminate target stock. Good find. Go ahead & snatch that up if the price is right.

Previous owner may have had the barrel threaded for a brake, a common practice.

Basic Member
    If I had been a little smarter when I was shopping I would have an F-TR or F-class instead of the 12BVSS. I'd love to have the heavier target action instead of the varmint one. I do believe the owner had the barrel threaded and compensator added. If it is a good one it will reduce recoil just a bit more, which would be a positive thing. The 1-12 twist and long barrel means it can push 155gn bullets, like the Bergers or Lapuas, out to 1000yd easily, as well as still being able to handle the 175's.

FWIW, it would also make a really nice cast bullet rifle for 600yd targets. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    That is a fantastic Savage. That Savage Action, being the port style, single shot, is favored as the most accurate of Savage Actions. It’s a Large Shank & already comes with some goodies.. the Target trigger, oversized bolt handle, upgraded Laminate target stock. Good find. Go ahead & snatch that up if the price is right.
    They want $800 for it. The lowest price I've seen new has been about $1500-ish, used about $1000-$1100.

+1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vince_ross View Post
    They want $800 for it. The lowest price I've seen new has been about $1500-ish, used about $1000-$1100.

Great deal! Grab it.

Team Savage

The action alone would sell quickly for $500, better buy it while you can!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If I had been a little smarter when I was shopping I would have an F-TR or F-class instead of the 12BVSS. I'd love to have the heavier target action instead of the varmint one. I do believe the owner had the barrel threaded and compensator added. If it is a good one it will reduce recoil just a bit more, which would be a positive thing. The 1-12 twist and long barrel means it can push 155gn bullets, like the Bergers or Lapuas, out to 1000yd easily, as well as still being able to handle the 175's.

FWIW, it would also make a really nice cast bullet rifle for 600yd targets. :)
    I actually missed out on a 12BVSS a little over a year ago...I saw one in 22-250 at a small gun shop and they wanted something like $750. I ended up not buying it for some stupid reason....my wife even said "you aren't buying it? Why not?" Ever since then, I've been on a mission to find something like this.

Yeah, the threaded compensator will be a good thing (I also run most rifles suppressed anyway). This will be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Great deal! Grab it.
    I actually just did! It should be at my local shop by the end of the week.