Thread: Seating Primers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    Lee shell holder on the left, Redding on the right. I measured the two shell holders with calipers and the measurement highlighted by the red arrow is larger than the same measurement highlighted by the yellow arrow. I tried to come up with a theory as to why one of these might cause variable primer seating depths, but gave up. In the end, I put the Lee shellholder in the press and seated 10 primers, and all of them seated below the base of the case. It's not definitive, but it certainly is suggestive that the Lee shellholder is built to work with the press primer seating geometry and the Redding shellholder is not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shellholders.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	9302
    I prime all of my cases on my Lee classic turret presses, and use Lee, Hornady, RCBS, and Redding shell holder's. I've never had a single issue priming any case with any of them.
    I think you are over thinking the process.

I use a LEE Challenger single stage for all of my reloading, and have been using the LEE priming tools that attach to the press (2-3 different versions are available). IF you see one of those primers being proud, just slip the round into a hand held primer seater to seat it a little bit more. I usually prime all of the cases first (just one press in the house) and check them with a fingertip, and possibly set stand it up on the loading table to see if it wobbles. Then I use the handheld primer seater tool to finish it off.

I messed around with the two shellholders last night and couldn't really see "the reason" for the inconsistency with the Redding. I guess I'll be looking at YouTube videos of hand primers.