Thread: 357/44 Bain & Davis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

357/44 Bain & Davis

SSK is on a roll, next one arrived early...stainless fluted 18" fluted bull carbine, 6 hole scope base D&T...will scope it tonight, its probably going to get topped with either a VX-III 1.7-6x, or a Vortex 1.75-5x.

Nice! I find the brass easy to form with out hardly any loss. Not sure that is the norm.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Team Savage
    well hows it shoot, dont tell me your waiting till the weekend... not you

Basic Member
    yup, i'm actually waiting till Sunday (hopefully, unless weather turns crappy)

I settled on the Vortex 1.75-5x for glass, mounted in Leupold bases/rings. That scope reminds me of the leupold short tube 1.75-6x in size,
    and glass seems pretty decent for a scope in that price range.

Prepping some cases tonight, & will probably start with the usual stuff like H110/296/etc, with 158/170/180 gr bullets.

Throat does seem overly long, i loaded up a dummy round with the Hornady 180 XTP seated out long in to the bottom cannelure to see if it'd chamber, and
    that was a no-go on that. The speer & sierrra 170's chambered fine when seated to their cannelures, as did all 158's.

It did however chamber the Hornady 180 Single Shot Pistol bullets with those seated to the cannelure.

from loading the .357max & .357herrett, i had also stashed back some Sierra 170JHC's and the Sierra 180 FPJ silhouette bullet; at carbine speeds those both worked pretty well for me in a 357max carbine. so those will get a try.

I'm anxious to see how this one shoots! I have always had a mild interest in the cartridge but I have never actually seen one in person. I have been leaning toward the bigger bores in new barrels the last few years, with all the component shortages I decided that having cast bullet friendly hunting rounds couldn't hurt anything.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    article from Handloader a while back..data was from a 15" barrel: