Thread: Essential TC barrel chamberings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This discussion came up many times over the years on the SP forum and every time I found myself coming up with the same answer:
    Most useful and essential are 223 and 44 Mag in Super 14 and 30-30 AI in a carbine.
    Next tier would be a 6.5 or 257 Bullberry or JDJ chambering in a carbine, 357 Mag in a 10" and a 223 based wildcat in 14".
    The 6.8 SPC has eased into the collection and has become a favorite but I wouldn't consider it a first choice over some of the others.
    Since my hands won't handle much pistol recoil these days, I've gravitated to more carbine set-ups. That means that 223 is about the only handgun I shoot these days but 44 mag is still in the mix as a great carbine chambering. I've never seen rimfire rounds as particularly essential in Contender given the abundance of relatively cheap and accurate bolt and semi-auto rifles.

7/30 waters and 357 max Have probably Been chambered in the contender more than in any other gun. I believe the contender kept these 2 calibers Going long after what would have been their expiration date. Both must haves!

Basic Member
    Herrett and JDJ, polar opposites! Herrett is super efficient, barely usable velocities, but still great rounds. JDJ MAX velocity, pressure and bullet size!

In the last year Im just getting back into the single shots after many years away. I think the list of "Essential" cartridges is going to vary on where you live & what you hunt.
    I live & hunt in Alaska
    Right now I have a 15" Encore in 308.
    In Contenders I have 10" 22WMR, 14" 6.5 JDJ, 14" 375 JDJ, & 14" 45-70. That pile really covers all the animals I might hunt. 14" 22LR barrel might be a good choice just for cheap shooting and to duplicate the feel of the heavier hunting barrels.
    At some point I may trade the 308 Encore for 30-30AI or 308JDJ Contender.

There all "essential" some more than others & depending on time of day.
    Starts at 17hmr, 22lr, 22 hornet (soon to be K), 223 my avatar and 357mag. All super 14
    Currently putting together a Encore w/15" 22-250

I like a LOT of posters in this thread have owned My Share, (LOL) Dozens if not Hundreds, of Contender barrels. Must confess I have Loved them all. They allowed me to meet a lot of online Experts and Friends. They have brought my family closer. We will be having our NINTH annual Pumpkin Annihilation this Halloween. A Contender, Tannerite ,Kids, and Grandkids WHAT could possibly be better. We have Dum-Dum shoots as often as possible. My oldest Grandson is hopelessly HOOKED. The joy of watching the Kids and Grandkids amaze their self with shots that make me SMILE. The entire family jokes saying my oldest Grandson won't be able to attend my funeral. He will have a U-Haul backed up to my gun room / loading shop.
    I tell this to explain my choices. My two favorite and most shot chamberings are an OTT 20 VarTarg and OTT 20 TAC. Both have a 10 ounce trigger and wear a 8.5-25x50 Leupold. Very light recoil and if you miss, the gun can not be blamed. For hunting I shoot a 6.5mm BB IMP and if I am feeling adventurous (NOT often) I have a SSK 375 JDJ To round out my current collection I have a SSK 300 Whisper and an OTT 219 Wasp. Down to six and tell everybody I won't buy another, but I do Have seven Frames so WHO KNOWS Anyone have a REAL interesting one they want to rehome LOL
    Safe shooting all my Friends
    Doug
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

Best chambers

I personally appreciate Bellm's work on my 21" 222 Rem Mag Imp. Thanks Mike!
    http://web.archive.org/web/201608170...ex.php?cid=79&