Thread: Do I Really Need a 30-30 AI?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Normrep55 View Post
    Do any of us need a reason to acquire just one more barrel in any caliber? It's an illness. I can't seem to recover. And did I mention it's February.
    Heading over to ebay now
    right, you owe yourself a valentines present!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Now ya got me thinkin again, Norm. I bought one of my nieces a new 30/30 H&R Handi Rifle many years ago. She deer hunted with me for about 5 years, got a deer each season, then completely lost interest. Her little rifle has been here and not used in a long time. I wonder if she’d ever notice if I reamed it to AI? Probably not. LOL I have a buddy with a reamer, now if I can talk him into loaning it to me again. He might even see this post.

Team Savage
    Well, there are no more 30-30 AIs by Van Horn, but there are a number of his other barrels on ebay again, including 7-30 and .30 Herrett among others. I don't know why I keep looking LOL...

Has Dave been cutting back on the barrel building, Bobby? Close to retiring?

Basic Member
    Do I Really Need a 30-30 AI?

I thought so, so one day I sat there with 500 rounds of 375 Winchester brass in my shopping cart at Wideners at something like $10.95/100. Was going to order a MGM or Bulberry barrel. Why I didn't pull the trigger I'll never know. And then they were gone...

That seemed to jinx the 30-30 AI for me. Just never got around to it. Danced all around it with standard 30-30, 7-30 Waters, 307/308 AI Encore but never made it happen. Oh well with barrels from 22LR, 22 K-hornet, 223 AI through to 45 Colt and 45-70 and plenty in between my life never collapsed!

Team Savage
    I haven't spoken to Dave for two years or more, so I couldn't answer that. I do know age is creeping up on him -- as it is with all of us LOL. Someone who's worked right alongside Dave is a forum member here. Maybe Mark will see this and chime in.

Dave is certainly an interesting character and has many unique stories to tell. A simple phone call to check on an order or ask a question can easily turn into an hour-long conversation.

If he's cutting back or retiring, I wish him the best as he certainly deserves it.

It used to be that the AI version held more advantage but, as has been mentioned, newer powders and bullet designs have allowed the plain old 30-30 to keep up just fine. That being said, I prefer the 30-30 AI. The extra bit of case capacity allows slower powder loads to push more velocity at Contender-friendly pressure levels. Brass life is nearly unlimited plus there's just a certain cool factor in the shape of the AI round. :)
    I think if I were looking for a factory barrel I'd be happy with 30-30 but ordering custom, there'd be no reason not to get the AI. Factory ammo can be shot in the AI chamber and fire-forming loads with standard brass can easily be used for hunting and target work.