Thread: Ok...so Who's cut a barrel down with hand tools?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Ok...so Who's cut a barrel down with hand tools?

I was going to take this to my local gunsmith and let him do work that I consider "above my pay grade". But another month has slipped by and the barrel was still sitting there. When I built this 110E via a barrel that was "hanging out" I bought an older long action that had a 7mm Mag barrel. I changed bolt heads, installed pillars (this original one had no pillars at all!!) and bedded the action.

The rifle shot well enough, but the stocks LOP was just a tad to long. (I cut off 1/2" of the stock and that was interesting with a hand power saw! I got it dead on too!!) The barrel was simply too long for "real world hunting" so I pondered cutting off 2", then looked at 4"....but finally settled on lopping off 3". The barrel started out at 22" and is now just a tad over 19". I did my own "flat crown" on the barrel. Assembled the rifle now is far better to handle in the field....at least, handling it in my workshop it feels much better.

Now, when the weather warms a bit I'll take it to the range and see if it still shoots well or not. If not, my gunsmith may see the barrel to put a recessed crown on it with a lathe.

I'll post when I've shot it. But here's a few pic's of the barrel shorting. (A thanks to Larry Potterfield for his videos!) and a pic of the final "flat crown". BTW, there is a small recess at the end of the barrel I "cut" using a grinding compound, drill, and brass round head bolt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiIEfweh.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	9160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jg4THhGh.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	9161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YRdvqxHh.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	34.2 KB