Thread: 7BR with cast boolits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Fuj,

What is your take on moly vs HBN?

Team Savage

Back to 7BR...some success from Saturday's match, now, if I could get those to repeat and eliminate single flyers the entire match I'll be satisfied. :-)

Basic Member
    Nice work Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Back to 7BR...some success from Saturday's match, now, if I could get those to repeat and eliminate single flyers the entire match I'll be satisfied. :-)

My experience when shots go low is the rifle is nose heavy and needs weight in the stock.
    Shot fliers going high is bounce on the front bag and why some shooters claim better groups
    with a soft front bag. That last target if not a sighter, looks like some wind....
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Fuj,

What is your take on moly vs HBN?
    No experience with HBN, and the only moly used was to mix some powder with a 50/50
    mix of Alox and bees wax for non gas checked bullets. Not a fan of powder coat because
    of being uneven and screwing up stability. I guess it's fine for plinking ammo only.

Let me ask a question.....With cast bullets, how do you sort them for match's ??
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Thanks. I just wondered about all the supposed issues with moly. One of the easiest lubes to make is a 50/50 mix of Sta-lube Molygraph and Beeswax. But, I don't clean the barrel after every session so it might go a few weeks. I do have a stainless barrel, but.... The other lube I like is Lucas Red N Tacky and Beeswax.

My PC bullets shoot as well as the non-PC bullets. But, that may be an issue with my skills rather than the bullets :) The 210gn bore rider I shoot requires PC to fit the bore properly and it shoots as well as the lubed bullets (not bore riders). But, I like the convenience of the lubesizer and a one step process. It just happens that the longer bore rider is a better bullet at long distance for me.

Sorting is done by weight and visual. I put the bullets in 0.1gn batches and visually inspect for flaws. I usually have 5-10 bins of bullets, eg, 167.1 to 167.7gn. For 'matches' I will pick only the heaviest bullets, eg the 167.5, 167.6 or 167.7. Each 'match' would be fired with a single weight of bullet, eg, 167.7gn.

From my experience the 0.1gn difference is not that much of a deal, ie, I could probably sort into 0.3gn batches and do just as well. But, the mental thing gets involved :) The bigger factor is the heavier bullets have fewer/smaller voids. This is a factor if you start pushing the RPM of the bullet.

Team Savage

Last target was one of two 10-shot group targets and wind did pick up a bit but was from ~8 o-clock position so group should have shifted to the 2 o-clock position.

One thing I noticed during the match is I cannot put any pressure on the stock, if I do, point of impact and consistency is erratic. The 1st & 2nd targets above were shot with no stock contact at all, not even my right thumb for trigger pull, instead, I used rear of the trigger guard to anchor my thumb.

Alloy used was lino/Pb @ 1:1, sized within 12hrs, then left to harden naturally. Gas checked, lubed, and loaded 2 days prior to the match.

Basic Member
    Even though I don’t do cast, yet?, it’s good to hear from a competitor.

Yes, Free Recoil works best from the Bench for Me.

Basic Member
    Free recoil works on some rounds for me but not others. When I push my 210gn cast bullet the stock has to be held firmly. But, same bullet at 3-400fps less vel and it likes to be free. Same with jacketed. The 6BR likes minimal stock contact. The .308 with 175SMK's has to be firm. :)

FWIW, these are only 12lb rigs.