Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
Boots,
Having spent my first 22 years in Iowa I commend you on a great perspective on how Iowegions hunt and think. I have two brothers that still live and hunt deer in Iowa. They switched to the 350 legend as soon as it came out.
Mark
Thanks, it seemed to be an accurate depiction to me LOL. With that crowd I always seem to be in the spot light as I have always marched to a different beat. When I decided to try my hand at deer hunting I modified a Westernfield 12ga (was a model 12 clone IIRC) that had a 2-3/4 chamber and a 30in barrel. Trimmed it down to 28in to remove the full choke and drilled and tapped the receiver for a 1pc weaver base, mounted a 3x9x40 and shooting plain old Winchester Rifled Slugs I made a 2in group at 150yds. After harvesting deer out to 175yds many of my hunting buddies labeled me the deer sniper. I later modified a Charles Daly semi-auto 12ga in a similar fashion, had a Marlin M55 bolt 12ga in a similar setup, a 60s era Mossberg 20ga bolt gun that I scoped and trimmed down to 18" and made a muzzle brake for it. Then came the special rifle season for a few years and finally got to take my Savage 12FV in 308 to the field for some antlerless management hunts. The buddies were feeling proud with their centerfires and making 200yd shots 'til I got my chances and was harvesting out to almost 500yds. Even now they all have their 350 Legends and I am showing up with my CVA 444 Marlin and my Savage 110 in 375 H&H. Do I build these to show off? No not really, I just enjoy being a bit different and it works for me but they will spend a couple hours every season comparing and doing some metaphorical d!@k measuring but I am usually excluded from such comparisons LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
As for the .360 Buckhammer, looks like Federal's answer to the .350 Legend. Big downside is that it's based on the .30-30's rimmed case which means it's not going to be compatible with most of today's most popular rifle platforms.
Agreed Jim, however it is likely a marketing downside I for one however am glad to see the old lever guns are not left out in the modern straightwall race. Will it flop? Most Likely, but maybe it will bring another viable option for a resurging lever market.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
Personally I'd still like to see an updated version of the .375 Winchester cartridge - maybe based off a 7mm Rem Mag case to retain the straight wall? Plenty of good .375cal bullets out there already with higher B.C.'s, and you could even come up with some good subsonic loads with the VLD-style bullets for hunting suppressed.
I was thinking about something similar on my way home this evening. Maybe like a 350 Rem Mag necked up for a 375 bullet. Should be a nice little thumper.