Thread: Need help with Choate stock upgrade....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    So Screwed on many levels. I'd like to see what the smith comes up with as a repair.
    He doesn't wanna mess with it, told me to send it back to Savage. I'm reluctant to do that because I'm skeptical of their quality as it is.

I'm gonna find another gunsmith I guess. I don't care if they put another scope base on it, drill/tap for larger screws, etc. I'm done with messing with the stupid thing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blykins View Post
    He doesn't wanna mess with it, told me to send it back to Savage. I'm reluctant to do that because I'm skeptical of their quality as it is.

I'm gonna find another gunsmith I guess. I don't care if they put another scope base on it, drill/tap for larger screws, etc. I'm done with messing with the stupid thing.
    Does it use 6-48 or 8-40 screws. If the smaller, it’s easy fix. Just go to the larger 8-40. But if they are already the larger; then it’s not an easy fix. Could do m5 screws if they are already larger. Only other fix is Weld & Re-Drill/Tap.

Basic Member
    It uses 8-40 screws.

What about drilling and tapping it for another scope base? Doesn’t have to be a pic rail.

Im just very reluctant to send it back to Savage.

Banned
    The problem is they are not machined at a Right angle to the Action, but rather, they are angled. Even two-part bases may exhibit similar outcome. I understand your concern. If this were mine, I would drill tap to 5mm. But I have the means & the tooling to do so correctly.

I’ll just offer this piece you’d likely heard before… Remember: “It is the Squeakiest wheel which GETS the oil!”

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The problem is they are not machined at a Right angle to the Action, but rather, they are angled. Even two-part bases may exhibit similar outcome. I understand your concern. If this were mine, I would drill tap to 5mm. But I have the means & the tooling to do so correctly.

I’ll just offer this piece you’d likely heard before… Remember: “It is the Squeakiest wheel which GETS the oil!”
    Well, gunsmith fixed that issue. Picked it up yesterday. Since it was a new rail and screws, I relapped the rings, put everything back together, then took it to the range today.

I was raised to be frugal and not waste money, but let me tell you that there isn't much keeping me from grabbing this piece of junk rifle by the barrel and wrapping it around a telephone pole.

Good news is that the rail doesn't raise up anymore. Bad news is that the groups keep getting worse and worse. Now we are at about a 3-4" group. We have a very nice 100 yard indoor rifle range 30 minutes from me. I had the range officer shoot it just to rule out that it wasn't a shooter issue. He shot it twice and the shots were 3" from each other as well.

I need to cool down and think about what I'm going to do. Trading it off is an option but I know I'll lose my hindend on it. I could also drop it back off at the gunsmith and let him go through it, but how much more money do I need to throw at this thing to make it shoot like it should shoot?

I know I'm coming across like a hot head but I'm just very frustrated.

Banned
    How was it fixed? Are you certain your scope & mounts are good? How many rounds do you have through the barrel & what about de-fouling & cleaning? It’s just that there aren’t too many things to throw off accuracy. If the mount & rings are now tight, the scope is good & you are confident in the ammunition & your shooting, the only thing left is the barrel.

Basic Member
    Yes, how do we know the scope is good ?