Thread: The Issue(s) With Extraction and Ejection With Savage Rifles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

The Issue(s) With Extraction and Ejection With Savage Rifles?

There appears to be no lack of reports of extraction and/or ejection problems with Savage rifles. Are these design issues? While I`ve had no issues myself with my Savage rifles ( knock on wood ), it makes me wonder if procuring an extractor/ejector kit wouldn`t be a prudent move (?).

Banned
    In this world of Straight Wall-NO taper cases & 30 degree shoulders(because that makes the BURRIT go faster even with less powder volume! And accuracy in the NEGATIVE MOA groups!), feeding/extraction issues have become more prolific. However, there is a simple fix to these. No Savage didn’t do us any favors… but then, when have they ever? Sure enough, as just about everything wrong with Savages it took some Thinker/builders to figure it out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    In this world of Straight Wall-NO taper cases & 30 degree shoulders(because that makes the BURRIT go faster even with less powder volume! And accuracy in the NEGATIVE MOA groups!), feeding/extraction issues have become more prolific. However, there is a simple fix to these. No Savage didn’t do us any favors… but then, when have they ever? Sure enough, as just about everything wrong with Savages it took some Thinker/builders to figure it out.
    Thanks Dave. How long has this been a known issue with Savage rifles? If it`s been a long standing complaint ( don`t know if it has been or not ) that for whatever reason you opt not to address, what does that say about how you regard your customers? Savage rifles don`t take a back seat to others when it comes to putting metal on target. It`s a shame they appear to just ignore their customer`s problems.

Banned
    Wall, Savage has always been a more economical, mass produced rifle. And yes, unfortunately there were times through the decades Savage QC slipped & there. But when the 6.5 Creedmoor became Uber popular the feeding issue was really noticed. Didn’t take long for guys to figure out the fix… (again, no thanks to Savage)

So yeah.. the company itself, their customer service, attention to KNOWN problem & whatnot.. SUCKS! They really do blow at it! But I still love the rifles. Been a fan since I could first purchase a firearm, and I’ll continue the rest of my life, I’m sure. Good thing I don’t need Savage to fix anything for me. LOL!

Basic Member
    I never had any trouble with my Axis in .223.

But, my 12BVSS in .308 started getting bad about ejecting rounds after about 2000 rounds. It would 'drop' the case when the nose cleared the chamber (case neck still in the lug area).

My solution? Removed the ejector. :) Yes, I only shoot from a bench and no timed shooting. I consider this a "feature" since now I can simply pluck the cases from the action.

And, yes, the larger ball 'fix' would probably work for me, but, I don't need it anymore :)

Basic Member
    I have personally never had extraction issues, but chambering and ejection have been less than perfect. My chambering issues have been from the round just catching the ejector pin as they pop out of the magazine and try to slide up the bolt face (easy fix by chamfering the pin a tad) and ejection can be weak.

I wish every action used CRF and a mechanical ejector

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I never had any trouble with my Axis in .223.

But, my 12BVSS in .308 started getting bad about ejecting rounds after about 2000 rounds. It would 'drop' the case when the nose cleared the chamber (case neck still in the lug area).

My solution? Removed the ejector. :) Yes, I only shoot from a bench and no timed shooting. I consider this a "feature" since now I can simply pluck the cases from the action.

And, yes, the larger ball 'fix' would probably work for me, but, I don't need it anymore :)
    What I do too, in fact, I removed the ejector on my 7BR build yesterday. My 80s vintage Savage rifles extract and eject just fine so must be something with newer models.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Wall, Savage has always been a more economical, mass produced rifle. And yes, unfortunately there were times through the decades Savage QC slipped & there. But when the 6.5 Creedmoor became Uber popular the feeding issue was really noticed. Didn’t take long for guys to figure out the fix… (again, no thanks to Savage)

So yeah.. the company itself, their customer service, attention to KNOWN problem & whatnot.. SUCKS! They really do blow at it! But I still love the rifles. Been a fan since I could first purchase a firearm, and I’ll continue the rest of my life, I’m sure. Good thing I don’t need Savage to fix anything for me. LOL!
    Yep, don`t get me wrong, I enjoy shooting my Savage rifles very much and am a fan as well. I`ve been the same about the Remington shotguns that I own and shoot. Both Savage and Remington are ( or have been ) icons of the American firearms scene. I would hate to see Savage go the way of Remington if a commitment to excellence in customer service, which includes actively addressing customer issues and complaints, could help prevent it.

Oh, and I ordered an enhanced extractor/ejector kit, thus ensuring that the one in the gun now will not fail!!