Thread: I am entirely ignorant...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Welcome to the club and good luck with your hunting.

Your rifle will do very well as is. When I hunted I liked to have a spare mag on me, simply in case the one in the rifle fell out somewhere. Unfortunately, Savage mags are kinda unique, a bit on the expensive side, and they can be hard to find. Yours should be one of the more commonly available.

Accessories. Before you change anything try the rifle out for a while. You may find you like it as is. If you do want to change things there are a lot of options for you out there.

Your rifle will do very well as is.
    Have a 110 flat back made in 2002. Would not change a thing! Action is very smooth, stagger feed magazine is fine with no feeding issues at all, and after some "tweaking" the trigger is great. Right now if I had a choice between one of the newer 110 models and the older model I would choose the older.

FWIW: I did find an OEM Savage walnut stock on Numrich and replaced the synthetic stock with it.

Banned
    Yes, definitely work on the trigger. I make those springs Robin was talking about & send them freely to any member who wants one. I can drop one in an envelope for you if you wish.

Here’s a pic of one I sent to another member recently, and compared to a stock spring.

Stock Savage spring bottom.

Dave, I would greatly appreciate a new spring. I tried to drop you a message but being new to the forum I have no idea how. Haha. Send me one and maybe I can figure it out.

Banned
    No problem. Just email me davidhoback1@gmail

Replacing the spring is very straightforward. Separate the barreled Action & Stock and you can very easily access it. Read through this Archive to familiarize yourself. https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...ent-Procedures

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes, definitely work on the trigger. I make those springs Robin was talking about & send them freely to any member who wants one. I can drop one in an envelope for you if you wish.

Here’s a pic of one I sent to another member recently, and compared to a stock spring.

Stock Savage spring bottom.
    Dave, the modified spring you are making, does than lighten up trigger pull? Or just make it break more clean?
    “High speed…….Low drag”

The lighter spring(smaller diameter wire) lightens the trigger pull. It also increases the chance of accidental discharge. Spring preload is critical to keep the trigger-sear relationship intact. If not done correctly you can discharge the rifle when closing the bolt or simply bumping the rifle in the stand or blind.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thank you Robinhood!
    “High speed…….Low drag”

Banned
    I’m sorry Tim. I agree with Robin. Here’s a bit more to it. There is a difference between Spring weight under Pre-load & reducing a Spring to the same weight by way of reducing Pre-load. Of course the lighter the trigger, the easier it is to trip. This isn’t the case for this spring specifically, but the case for ALL trigger springs, period. This is a reason really light target triggers aren’t used for hunting. Also a reason I like Safe Action triggers. (Like the Accutrigger) It CAN’T fire without deliberately pulling the trigger. But I digress. Yes, Hunting & Target triggers are two different things. Great thing: springs are easily replaced. One thing, from my experience, a lighter spring with sufficient preload, is less prone to tripping than a heavier spring, under extremely light preload. This is why it’s a bad idea to CUT springs shorter. Oh wait a second…, it’s not just my experience. It’s actually physics, LOL. One can spend some time researching Spring Load, Spring Rate, Pre-Load and how they relate to one another. Interesting topic actually.

Nice. I like the look of yhe walnut stock!

Definitely. Already have a date set to head to yhe range for myself and the guy Im buying it from. I need to look into one of those laser cartridges to get my scope close to zero and finish off with live rounds.