I understand the swap if accuracy is not a concern. Those $14 boxes of ammo just aren't that accurate. But, it all depends on what you want to hit. If it is a 'coffin' type gong at 600 then the cheap ammo will do. If you want to hit soda cans you'll need to buy the expensive .308 ammo (or make your own with good bullets).

The cheaper ammo will also give you more issues when trying to learn to shoot well, ie, you won't be able to tell when you are doing something right or wrong.

I started out my recent rifle addiction with a .223 because I thought it would be cheap to shoot. But, I found the cheap stuff was not that accurate. Even reloads with cheap bullets were not accurate 'enough'.

Brass cost is a non issue. 6.5CM, especially with small primers, will last a long time. I used Lapua brass in my .308 and .223. Cost double but it was good for 20 reloads. That's 2000 rounds.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are going to reload, stick with the 6.5. The lower recoil will make it easier to shoot accurately.