Thread: Loaded my first fifty rounds today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Loaded my first fifty rounds today

I used pre fired Hornady brass , Federal Champion 215 primers , Magpro powder with 162 Hornady ELDX Match bullets .

I used Hornady's load data , I did ten of each , 60 , 62.4, 64.8, 67.2 and the max load of 69.6 grains .

I measured to the lands and my OAL was 3.420 . The OAL jumped around a bit as I went through the process , from 3.422 to 3.418 , not sure how or why ? Maybe my cheap calipers ?

I used the RCBS Matchmaker Dies , pretty slick really . [IMG][/IMG]
    No matter where you go , there you are !

Basic Member
    4 thou difference in the OAL is not much...it will be fine. Any reason why you are trying to seat them right up to the lands?

And good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    4 thou difference in the OAL is not much...it will be fine. Any reason why you are trying to seat them right up to the lands?

And good luck!

Because I spend to much time researching on you tube probably , LOL

I am new to this , but thought taking out the "jump" to the lands would make for a more accurate round ? Yes ? No ?

Basic Member
    In the lands or at "jam" may or may not be more accurate depending on what your barrel likes. It may like a 10 or 20 thousandths jump better... Only one way to find out. If you are happy with how your load shoots, no reason to go further. I personally like to jump 20 thou in most of my loads. I have loaded Bergers with an 80 thou jump and they shot unbelievably well. Congrats on the first loads! I have been loading for a couple years in 6.5 CM, 5.56, 270 Win, and 45-70 Govt, and just ust started with 300 Win Mag. It... Is... Addictive!

Basic Member
    Yep, every bullet likes something different.

In my .308 the 155 Bergers liked to be seated into the lands. Hornady ELDM and Sierra Matchkings liked a bit of jump, 0.020-0.030. You also have to be careful with the powder load if you seat into the lands as it raises pressures a bit.

Banned
    I concur. Might be better accuracy… might not be. This is the point of working up loads. But then, OAL should be your last thing to worry about. Figure out bullet & powder the barrel likes first, then play with seating depth.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRJR View Post
    Because I spend to much time researching on you tube probably , LOL

I am new to this , but thought taking out the "jump" to the lands would make for a more accurate round ? Yes ? No ?
    You sound like me when I started. It does seem logical the closer you could get to the lands the better but that has not been my experience. In fact, most of what I shoot seems to like a pretty good jump. It may be different on extremely accurate, high dollar target rifles but not on my $300-$350 rifles. I think they are quite accurate, I have a couple that will do considerably better than .5 MOA with the right bullets. No doubt there are many on this board that would laugh at .3-.5 MOA but I think it is pretty decent.

I think the .004" differnce could be variation in the bullets. They aren't absolutely perfect.

Team Savage

The target will tell you which load your rifle likes, a chronograph won't.

Well , I got to the range today , I'm impressed . The first picture is factory loads on the left and reloads on the right , minimum charge and I was aiming at the top target , but a pretty nice group , Right ?
    The next picture is at max load , and the group climbed back up to the target I was aiming at . Everything in between was just ok , IMO

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]