Thread: 7mm PRC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Agreed. Just that these fellers just starting out need to know… that they DON’T know… yet. So be careful of flapping’ gums about how much better such & such new cartridge is. And remember I’m a fan of NEW. I’ve said it before. Everything today is better than yester-years tech.. steel, Aluminum, composites, automobiles, and yes.. FIREARMS! But shortening a case & adding a 30deg shoulder ain’t some new technology. But boy are the manufacturers selling it that way.

Basic Member
    Here's my opinion on the limited research I've done:
    It's going to be tough to convince people to ditch the 7mm rem mag. The issue with the 7mm rem mag, like the 260, and the 300 win mag for that matter, is the twist rate the "classic" cartridges come in from factory rifles. I'm not saying the 300 win mag can't do well, but if you want to launch the heavier 30 cal pills, I'd recommend a 1.9" twist rate. The 260 twist rate that remington came out with in the 90s limited it to lighter varmint rounds, instead of the heavier, higher BC bullets that the creedmoor can take advantage of. Same thing with the 7mm rem mag

The 7mm rem mag is generally, from the factory, intended to shoot 140-150gr pills. Can you get a barrel with the twist rate to shoot the 180gr berger hybrid? Sure thing, and with retumbo, mine can launch them at 2980 FPS. The other disadvantage, if you want to call it one, is the belt on the rem mag. It's easy enough to deal with using either high quality dies, or the larry willis collet die. The PRC doesn't have this.

Will I switch to this new wonder cartridge. Nope. I don't want to deal with component availability issue, trying to get dies, and my greatest fear, that in 5-10 years, not being able to get the components at all.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

It's going to be tough to convince people to ditch the 7mm rem mag.
    +1

Honestly with rampant inflation and a recession looming in the future I find myself wanting to say to the release of the 7MM PRC in the fall...."what are you thinking?"

Basic Member
    It is hard to understand corporate thinking. We are in a huge shortage of ammo and they want to bring out another new cartridge? Heck, my brother-in-law did not have any ammo for his .30-30 to go hunting this fall. But, he could probably buy a new 7PRC and have ammo for it?

Oh well. If you have a bunch of engineers sitting around they need to be doing something. :)

And the issues Remington had with their 'new' cartridges noted above I think contributed to their demise. And they didn't do the slow twist thing once...they repeated the mistake several times. Just a reflection of either poor engineering or poor management. Either one of which dooms a company.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    It is hard to understand corporate thinking. We are in a huge shortage of ammo and they want to bring out another new cartridge? Heck, my brother-in-law did not have any ammo for his .30-30 to go hunting this fall. But, he could probably buy a new 7PRC and have ammo for it?

Oh well. If you have a bunch of engineers sitting around they need to be doing something. :)

And the issues Remington had with their 'new' cartridges noted above I think contributed to their demise. And they didn't do the slow twist thing once...they repeated the mistake several times. Just a reflection of either poor engineering or poor management. Either one of which dooms a company.
    I have had a 6mm Rem for 25 years, as well as a 243 Win. Remington totally missed the mark by advertising it as a varmit round, and barreling their guns with a twist that could not stabilize the heavier bullets that the .243 was capable of. They overlooked the entire medium-sized big game consumer. Mine is a BRNO with a Wilson bull barrel with 1:9 twist, and smokes my custom mauser 243 in both fps and accuracy with the 95-100gr projectiles. I use it for woodchucks to whitetail.

Basic Member
    So I picked up my Ultralite 7mm PRC, inspected it, bore-scoped the barrel (looked nice), and performed the thorough cleaning and then took the buggy down to the field for the recommended barrel break-in procedure. I chrony'd the 175gr. Hornady Precision Hunter rounds throughout the process, which only ranged from 2740's to a high of 2795 fps. The box specified 3000fps - probably out of a 24 or 26" barrel, but mine weren't even in the ballpark out of the Ultralite's 22". Accuracy after 11 rounds was 1/2 MOA. To ensure that my CE M2 was still working accurately, I used the Burris ballistics tool (for my Veracity 4-20x scope) to generate a dope card using 2800fps, and dialed it in for the 600 yard plate. I fired 3-shot groups which were 1.5 MOA low. At 710, I jacked it up by 1.5 MOA . At 850, it was still 0.25 MOA low. I went through two boxes. Either the barrel needs 100 rounds to fall in, or the Hornady velocities are pie.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeb View Post
    So I picked up my Ultralite 7mm PRC, inspected it, bore-scoped the barrel (looked nice), and performed the thorough cleaning and then took the buggy down to the field for the recommended barrel break-in procedure. I chrony'd the 175gr. Hornady Precision Hunter rounds throughout the process, which only ranged from 2740's to a high of 2795 fps. The box specified 3000fps - probably out of a 24 or 26" barrel, but mine weren't even in the ballpark out of the Ultralite's 22". Accuracy after 11 rounds was 1/2 MOA. To ensure that my CE M2 was still working accurately, I used the Burris ballistics tool (for my Veracity 4-20x scope) to generate a dope card using 2800fps, and dialed it in for the 600 yard plate. I fired 3-shot groups which were 1.5 MOA low. At 710, I jacked it up by 1.5 MOA . At 850, it was still 0.25 MOA low. I went through two boxes. Either the barrel needs 100 rounds to fall in, or the Hornady velocities are pie.
    Every Proof carbon barrel i have owned has increased in speed a decent amount by 60 rounds and leveled off at 120 rounds. My 28 Nosler Ultralite increased 150 FPS over that time, my 300 WSM ultralite has increased 40 FPS in that time, my custom 6.5 PRC increased about 100 over that time, and i only have 30 rounds through my Proof Elevation 6.5 Creedmoor so i only have taken my baseline. Hard to say where it will end up, but i bet it will get faster.

7mmSS?
    or 7mm Sherman Max
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

or 7MM SST?

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    or 7MM SST?
    yep
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member