Thread: 22LR B Series bullet scratching/accuracy issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Thumbs Up Reduced "Scratching" Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    fasteddie, did this smoothing eliminate the bullet scratching in your rifle?
    H-IowaFox - Yes, I rarely find any scratches at all. I must caveat that My B22 didn't do it very 'deeply' to begin with, the bullets just looked like they were banged around in a 'bulk box' instead of being $20 Lapuas ( I usually only use SK+, HA! ) I've commed with others who have done this and found relief from that 'nasty scratchin'
    Just 'round' the front so it still can pick up the bullet case, and smooth everything else. I went back almost 2" and polished it with 1000g paper after a tiny bit of filing. Also, check inside the receiver while you're polishing . . . there are often snags and stuff that could drag on the bolt, too. I also polished the 'round side' of the bolt, shiney just makes me feel good. Might as well . . .
    I also polished all the trigger parts w-1000g, and did the 'heat the T-spring' mod (heat ca. 'yellow-hot' and cool slowly). That was before a friend send me a couple V-springs from TX. One of those went in my A22, but the B22 had gone down to 1.25# w-heat so I left it alone. The A22 went down to 1.9# which was good for a semi with that cr*p trigger assy, and made a young guy Verry happy when he bought it.
    Good luck with your rifle,
    Ed

Basic Member
    Thanks Ed

Basic Member
    Yesterday was a crappy day here so I cleaned up my bolt using Ed'd pictures for reference. I used masking tape on the flat sided and a strip around the front of the bolt nose. With the bolt in my little rubber jaw vice I went to work with a 3/8 x 3/8 x 3/8 inch honing stone 6 inches long followed by a wyoming stone for the ultimate polish. I tried a half dozen different brands of loaded ammo I had handy. Happy to report Scratching is gone. Thanks a million for the pictures ed.

Leaves me wondering about the guys buying the B22 precision. Is Savage doing any polish work on those bolts or is Savage just letting them suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Leaves me wondering about the guys buying the B22 precision. Is Savage doing any polish work on those bolts or is Savage just letting them suffer?
    I can all but guarantee you that Savage isn't giving any extra attention to the bolts in the B22 Precision rifles - same as they've never given any extra attention to their centerfire Precision Target actions.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Sorry I never got back on this thread to report but life sometimes gets in the way! After about 3 months I finally received the new B22 Precision from Savage. Seemed good the first time to the range but then again so did the original. I did not trust it so went a few times and it performed flawlessly every time. Every round ejects properly and with good ammo and if I do my part it puts them right in the 100 ring! I've now had the replacement rifle several months and have been to the range about 8 or 9 times and have done 3 benchrest competitions with it. Getting better every time I go to a match. Came in 4th last week out of 14 in the factory class. Since I've only been to 3 benchrest matches in my life I'm pretty happy with that, especially since the 10 behind me were all shooting CZ's of one kind or another, and most if not all had more competition experience than I do.

All in all I am now very happy with the rifle, can't ask for more out of the product than I'm seeing. However, I am still upset with the lousy customer service from Savage and the fact that I had to spend $71 to ship a brand new defective rifle back to the manufacturer. I do not see myself ever buying another Savage due to their terrible attitude towards the customer.

Team Savage
    Do all the B22's have this problem? I think Tikka is gouging because of their latest price increase of $100. So, have been looking at the B22FUSR but don't want to go down the rabbit hole. How is the B22FVSR accuracy compared to the B22 Precision? I believe the Precesion has a "red" blade Acca-trigger and , maybe, a different barrel.

Basic Member
    bsekf - see my post in the B22 Precision thread where you posted this question.