Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Talley???

Deer Talley???

OK, so I blooded my 220F at 7:30 this morning. Took a healthy young buck (5x3) with a broken main beam at the G-4 intersection this morning. Saw this guy 3 times during archery and noticed he broke a chunk off his main beam the last time I saw him. Bugger was always too far out of range for the bow but not for the little 220F. Well, he made the mistake of showing himself this morning and that was it for him. Shot was difficult though, I was up in my climber and he was to my extreme right about 120 yards away. I'm right handed so it was really tough to get the gun planted in my shoulder and get turned around so I could see him. Very narrow opening between the trees and brush and maybe 50-60 feet elevation drop. But I managed to find his ribcage in my 3-9 leupold and thread a 2-3/4" Accutip Remington through the canopy his way. Presented a decent quarter towards shot through the lungs, ran about 75 yards and piled up. The rack ain't nothing to brag about but you know what? You can't eat the darn horns anyway.

So how did you guys do?
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Re: Deer Talley???

congrats Ed!!! Thanks for the report. It really makes me feel like sh** while Im down here in the city!!!!!

I wont be takin my 220f out till probably Thursday. Sure it will get bloodied either Thursday or Saturday, but hope it to be the nice buck Ive been seeing in Archery.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

I just got back. I didn't do too good myself I saw 12 Does and 0ne 4 point Buck and I didn't want too shoot him the first day even though I can as I am a senior now. He needs taken out of the herd as he looks to be around a 3 to 4 year old Buck and about 160 lbs.

My 16 year old Grandson made my day when he killed a 10 point that was about 180 lbs. and we figured about 7 years old, we have pictures of him from the last 2 years on the trail cam and he is starting too go down hill. He measured almost 17 inches inside, not a monster but real nice. My son killed a nice 5 point

If that 4 point comes around later in the season I will knock him down also.

Gordon

Gordon, sounds to me that you actually had a pretty good day! Nothing felt better than the day my son took his first buck, a 7 pointer that was one of the biggest bodied deer I ever saw. Amazing thing was; it was his first hunt ever and with a bow no less.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Rob96

I didn't see a single tail except for some squirrles. What once was a productive mountain has very slim pickin's. I had the opportunity to talk to two older gentlemen that have hunted there 25+yrs. They are very disappointed at how things are turning out with the deer herd.

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    Gordon, sounds to me that you actually had a pretty good day! Nothing felt better than the day my son took his first buck, a 7 pointer that was one of the biggest bodied deer I ever saw. Amazing thing was; it was his first hunt ever and with a bow no less.
    ED this isn't his first deer as he killed several others but none with his bow. He gets buck fever when he sees antlers on what he is shooting and he hasn't shot anything this good and his mother said "oh no not another mount on the wall " and he said yep right behind the TV . His Uncle my oldest son and his business partner have about 200 acres on the mountain and only have it for hunting. They haven't killed anything less than an 8 point except for a management buck or 2 for about 6years .

I will say one thing it was cold up there today we still had snow laying around where it is shaded.

I would still be real proud as I'm sure you are. How bout that Grandson!

Plenty of frost right here at home today. Was 27 when I climbed up the tree this morning. I was layered up pretty good though. Best of all I was down out of my tree by 8:00.

Basic Member

OK, so I blooded my 220F at 7:30 this morning. Took a healthy young buck (5x3) with a broken main beam at the G-4 intersection this morning.
    Well Done !!!

Couldn't get this week off.

I just got this email from my Grandson !

[img width=600 height=450]http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/BTBookST/Zacks%202010%20Buck/pictures231.jpg[/img]

Thats a brute! Good mass and nice brow stickers!

Basic Member

I was in Tionesta, PA yesterday and only saw 3 doe and a red fox. My father in law saw 4 doe and that was it. Neither of us have doe tags for that wildlife unit. The owner of the camp where we were staying got a monster 8 point. Measured 20''. He was ecstatic to say the least.

[img width=337 height=450]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMG_0056.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMG_0065.jpg[/img]

Rebels7

I got a nice 8pt that has 19" spread and the right brow tine dropped and turns like a hook and 3 does that went around 100 pounds. Killed them With the 110 7 mag I picked up after deer season last year.
    [img width=371 height=450]http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/dukester65/8pt/hb5.jpg[/img]

My son got his first buck last week.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y325/dukester65/Bribuck/brideer5.jpg[/img]

I took the day off work today to get in some hunting with my cousin.

It was a good day with me getting a doe and him getting a monster 8pt. It was the maiden voyage for my new Savage 220f 20ga slug gun and Leupold UltimateSlam 2-7 scope. I'm shooting Federal Premium 3" Barnes Expander slugs.

I thought about holding out for a nice buck to come(like I have been doing all year ::))but couldnt pass up the chance to put some meat in the freezer and initiate my new rig. I did pass up a doe this morning but shot a small doe this afternoon from my tree stand at a whopping 26yds. Due to the steep angle the slug went in high on the back and pierced the spine, then flew thru the lungs and left a HUGE exit hole. This deer dropped immediately and didnt even flinch. It was a true DRT! Needless to say I was stoked to shoot it with my new rig ;D.

Heres the pic from my stand just after I shot. You can see the deer laying there in the middle of the pic:

[img width=600 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/1202101451.jpg[/img]

and the new rig:

[img width=600 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/oct2010062.jpg[/img]

NOW ON TO BIGGER THINGS!!!

This morning my cousin shot this HUGE 8pt with his 870 Remmy at about 30 yards. It ran about 20-30 ft and folded. It has an 18" inside spread, 9" and a 10" G-2's, and 5" and 7" G-3's. The main beams measure 4.5" at the bases, 22" and 23" long, and still measure 4" round between the G2 and G3's. Needless to say it will be hung on his wall.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/1202101118.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/1202101122.jpg[/img]
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Thats a monster! Shame he didn't let you take it with the Savage. Glad to see you blooded your 220 just the same.

Toney

Wife and i are up to 5, 2 does and 3 bucks. She got the 12 point mine was a 6 and a big 4 point he was as tall and wide as the old lady's 12pt just not enought points.

Shot a little spike with my new stevens 22-250 was a 400yd shot also shot a little doe with it. Had a good season.

A doe and a little button buck so far......meat for the freezer. Got the doe with a 6mm SAUM and the button with a 458 Win Mag.....down loaded of coarse.

I kinda like the 458 actually, down loaded to 45-70 levels its an awsome close range brush gun with a lot of stopping power....leaves a really good blood trail. ;D

Good luck guys.

Well, after a long day of hunting and not seeing anything at all, the last half hour of my hunt this evening was treated by a visit of 15-20 doe. Yup, not a buck to be found as I had every single one of them in my scope just to make sure.

So needless to say the Savage 220F 20ga struck again with a 40yd chip shot. The big doe ran about 30 yds and crashed, never to be heard from again. Man I am lovin this gun!!!

Cant wait till Monday to do it all over again...LOL
    ~Clint Eastwood

chunks7mm

OK, so I blooded my 220F at 7:30 this morning. Took a healthy young buck (5x3) with a broken main beam at the G-4 intersection this morning. Saw this guy 3 times during archery and noticed he broke a chunk off his main beam the last time I saw him. Bugger was always too far out of range for the bow but not for the little 220F. Well, he made the mistake of showing himself this morning and that was it for him. Shot was difficult though, I was up in my climber and he was to my extreme right about 120 yards away. I'm right handed so it was really tough to get the gun planted in my shoulder and get turned around so I could see him. Very narrow opening between the trees and brush and maybe 50-60 feet elevation drop. But I managed to find his ribcage in my 3-9 leupold and thread a 2-3/4" Accutip Remington through the canopy his way. Presented a decent quarter towards shot through the lungs, ran about 75 yards and piled up. The rack ain't nothing to brag about but you know what? You can't eat the darn horns anyway.

So how did you guys do?
    pictures?come on!

Nothing to brag about. The main beams were both broken at the tips taking the last 2 points with them Was a scarggley rack to be honest but he was healthy and young, maybe 2-1/2 years old. He's tasting good though. Had Philly steaks with provolone and fried onions friday night and making Chimicanga's tonight! Did take a couple pix with my new company cell phone but I cant pull them off the phone. Damn thing is blocked for email and text etc. :-[ Need to talk to the boss about that...

chunks7mm

Ed,
    any deer with head gear or without should be considered a trophy...as soon as their not,hunting has lost its meaning

Agreed, I do have the skull cap drying out in the garage to add to the rest of them. Most of the bucks that I have taken I kept the horns regardless of stature. There is a memory attached to each of them.

Basic Member

Hey guys. Future father-in-law got two yesterday, a beautiful 8 point and a monster of a doe. Someone hit the buck in the shoulder so it was walking on 3 legs. When he finally had a clear shot on him, he put a .300 Savage round through his heart and dropped him in the spot. The guy who shot the shoulder out said "You found my deer." FF-I-L said "No, that's my deer. I'm the one who made the shot that counted." The guy was kind of torqued but he understood that all he did was wounded it and walked off. I myself have yet to get anything. I'm hoping Friday and Saturday will be just as successful as it was yesterday and Monday for the guys I've been hunting with.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMG_0069.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by titus2423
    Someone hit the buck in the shoulder so it was walking on 3 legs. When he finally had a clear shot on him, he put a .300 Savage round through his heart and dropped him in the spot. The guy who shot the shoulder out said "You found my deer." FF-I-L said "No, that's my deer. I'm the one who made the shot that counted." The guy was kind of torqued but he understood that all he did was wounded it and walked off.
    Your FFIL is correct! The one that puts the "kill" shot on it is the one who should claim it. I guess that could differ if you and a few buddies were tracking one you shot and they shot it for you during tracking or something.

Was the guy who shot it first actually tracking the deer, or just came over when he heard the shot from your FFIL? Doesnt really matter. It came walking by your FFIL and they werent hunting together, so it is his deer IMO.
    ~Clint Eastwood

Went out again on Friday and put down another doe with my 220f 20ga slug gun. So far this season the gun(and me) are 3 for 3.

Good thing I got the Leupold scope with the ballistic reticle with drop out to 300 yards ::). I shot this one at a whopping 8 yards away, as I was walking thru the woods and it jumped up right in front of me. I had just enough time to throw the gun up, aim, and shoot. Needless to say it dropped in its tracks. I cant post a pic of it because the Federal 3" Barnes tipped bullet left a HUGE hole, and it was a bloody mess on both sides of the deer. I also think I may have burnt some of the hair off the deers left side due to the muzzle blast :D ;D.

I did see a buck on both Thursday and Friday night, but let them both walk as they were small, young deer and I know there are bigger ones in that spot. One was a 3pt(10-12" spikes with a fork on 1 side) that came in to my grunt call, and stood under my stand at about 5-6 yards for 30-45 minutes. It was really cool to see him get all pissed off cause he couldnt find the deer that was grunting :D.

Now gun season is over for shooting a buck, but I have 5 weeks of archery left after Christmas to try to fill my buck tag(with my other Savage/Diamond). I can still shoot a doe with my 220f during those same 5 weeks though. That gun is so much fun to shoot I just cant put it away for the year yet .
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    Quote Originally Posted by titus2423
    Someone hit the buck in the shoulder so it was walking on 3 legs. When he finally had a clear shot on him, he put a .300 Savage round through his heart and dropped him in the spot. The guy who shot the shoulder out said "You found my deer." FF-I-L said "No, that's my deer. I'm the one who made the shot that counted." The guy was kind of torqued but he understood that all he did was wounded it and walked off.
    Your FFIL is correct! The one that puts the "kill" shot on it is the one who should claim it. I guess that could differ if you and a few buddies were tracking one you shot and they shot it for you during tracking or something.

Was the guy who shot it first actually tracking the deer, or just came over when he heard the shot from your FFIL? Doesnt really matter. It came walking by your FFIL and they werent hunting together, so it is his deer IMO.
    He was tracking it, only because every time he got close to it, it would get up and hobble away. I think he was right in every aspect of how he went about it, and I'm not just sayin that because he'll be family some day. I completely agree. You kill it, you tag it.

Finally got one on Friday. Got her at about 3:20. I was with my future father-in-law and another hunting buddy. We had just walked out of one set of woods and gotten into another when a couple of guys in an elevated blind told us we kicked some deer out and they circled back in. Since I hadn't gotten one yet, it was my call to go after them so I said "Why not?" I posted in the corner of a field that was against the woods the deer came out of. The two guys I was with went about 150 and 300 yards down the field to push the deer back towards me. It worked perfectly! The deer came up along the field edge about 10 yards into the woods. The lead doe came up right next to me at 10 yards and didn't even see me. I pulled the gun up and fired. I managed to screw it up and hit her low; as she was going down a hill in another field, all I could see was her backside and snow flyin all around. I shattered both shoulders. Ugh...I go after her and she kept getting up and moving.I shot at her again but she hopped away as I fired and missed. I finally got close to her and she wasn't getting up anymore. Sent one to her head and, just as I did, she flopped it around and I misses again. I collected myself for a couple minutes and finally sent one at her head that connected. I'm a bit ashamed of myself for screwing up the initial shot but what matters is she did not suffer long and she'll make for some good dinners. Sorry for the book guys. Now for a pic...

By the way, the gun is empty. Emptied her out before she was field dressed and this is just where we stopped for a break and some pics. That's the good ole 200 Stevens in .270 leanin' against the deer. First season in 6 years, and the first deer with that gun. What a year!

[img width=600 height=450]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMG_0077.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast