A while back I bought a Savage B22 FV-SR, to be truthful has been somewhat of a disappointment. It miss feeds at about a 15% rate, usually one to two rounds per mag. I’ve tried various fixes, to no avail, and it’s been back to Savage twice and it’s still the same. I’ve tried 22 different brands/types of ammo, 12 different mags, some stock, others with slight modifications. A great shooter if I can get the round into the chamber, but the miss feeds make it frustrating to shoot. So it sets in the gun safe.

Last week, I happened on a new Savage B22 Precision in a MDT aluminum chassis, very nice looking. I have a Savage Mk II FV in a MDT-LSS RF aluminum chassis, that is an excellent shooter. I saw the Precision and decided to buy it. The first outing was abysmal, the fail to feed rate was roughly 50%, I was so frustrated I was almost in tears. The second outing started out where I had left off, but as the day wore on and my patience’s was waning, the rate started to drop, by the end of the outing I was at the 15-20% miss feed rate, the accuracy was great. Third outing, it took up at the same rate, by the time I had pushed another 500 rounds through it, the rate was almost zero. The fourth outing was a welcome surprise, I ran another 400 rounds through it, without a single miss feed. Saturday, I pushed another 400 rounds through it, without a single issue.

So after approximately 2000 rounds, the Savage, at that time and place, is a great rifle, smooth accurate, comfortable, a great trigger and extremely well balanced. If I did not know better, I would sworn that the rifle I shot the first day, was not the rifle I’m shooting now. The transformation is incredible, from a jam master to a well balanced rifle in roughly a week’s time. I do not know what had to wear in or settle in, but whatever it was, it did it. I can now shoot multitudes of ammo brands/types and numerous mags without issue. Now if I could get the Savage B22 FV-SR to respond the same way, I’d be a truly happy shooter.