Thread: Savage 12fv

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I would agree also, the Oryx is about the best bang for the buck right now. I have one on a TC Compass rifle (I know stupid to spend more on the chassis than the $300 rifle, but it also wears a $500 vortex and shoots lights out) and I really like that Chassis. I also have a MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 on a savage and it is a very nice chassis also. There are a bunch of great ones, but like Dave said it only goes up in price.

Magpul says the Hunter stock is coming, and MDT has an Oryx Field Stock in the works also. Those should be a little less than the $400 Oryx chassis, but its a waiting game on those. Another option would be a Boyd's Pro Varmint laminate stock and add the DBM bottom metal. I'm not sure what that would cost, but it'd be at or under the Oryx chassis price point...

Banned
    If you’re looking for the cheapest, it’s the Trybe ROCS Chassis. https://www.opticsplanet.com/trybe-d...is-system.html
    Optics Planet is the sole proprietor of Trybe.

It's not bad, but I think the Oryx is still the better buy.

I like the look of that ROCS, but there are very few reviews for it. I guess it is a toss up between that and the Oryx.

Banned
    The Trybe Chassis is very new. The Oryx has been out long enough it has a healthy number of reviewers. Also, it was backed by MDT, so that gave immediate clout with shooters. I’ve seen a few accounts on the Trybe, and it’s positive so far. I’ll say this.. it’s 6061 Billet like any other chassis. And it’s machined to a known size, for known Actions; just like any other chassis. The difference is it’s simple. There is no “quick adjustment” of anything- the LOP, the cheek riser. Everything is adjusted with spacers. So I’ll go out on a limb that you’d be safe getting one, as far as fitment, operation. And I do have experience with other Trybe parts. The machining they do is good. So I wouldn’t worry about that either. I still prefer the Oryx, but if you like the look of the Trybe more & want to save the $50, I believe you’ll do just fine for the $340.

Heres a in depth video on the ROCS if you haven’t seen it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsUlQezwos

Question because I really do not know. Does a $3-400 Chassis on an FV result in a worthwhile change in accuracy?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Question because I really do not know. Does a $3-400 Chassis on an FV result in a worthwhile change in accuracy?
    Maybe, maybe not. The point to a chassis is it offers the most Rigid & BEST method of eliminating Action screw creep. By means, this offers the greatest aptitude of accuracy. But it does not mean accuracy will improve just because. It’s the same with a barrel. If your Rifle is already shooting lights out with the factory barrel, swapping to a Bartlein is not likely going to increase accuracy. But it might.

Basic Member
    What is the definition of “Action screw creep” ?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Depends on if there is a loose nut behind the sights.

There seems to be a large number of people that immediately modify for accuracy before shooting their rifle. How do you measure improvement without shooting first.

I sold a 40x once to a guy who said the first thing he was going to do was replace the barrel (22 lr). "Why?" I asked. His answer was so it would group better.

I told him to shoot it first. He kept the factory barrel. It would shoot above his ability.

Banned
    That reminds me of people using a borescope in the bore and condemning the barrel before firing a single shot.