Thread: IS there any favorite among barrel makers, among the faithful?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Shooting at One Mile is quite difficult. Saying it’s not is simply disingenuous. Shooting at 100yds is not difficult. Anyone with even a shred of basic skill can hit a man sized target over & over again. Even a hundred shots taken, & not one will miss. At a mile, there are variables beyond our control. Wind being the largest. And the flight time adding to that. There is a certain amount of pure CHANCE at a mile or more. Very, very few can hit the same man sized target even 2 back to back shots at one mile. Regardless of caliber/cartridge. Now make that 5, or 10 shots in a row? Fagettaboutit! Probably a handful of people in the world! Probably a handful of people in the world! And non of them are posting here!

Watch videos on YouTube showing a Mile shooting. They look like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C262u2n69w

It’s HIT…MISS…HIT…MISS…MISS…MISS…HIT, etc. all over the place. I’ve watched hundreds & hundreds of videos. And a back to back HITS at 1 Mile are few and far between. And some are questionable do to editing. Show me your unedited 10 consecutive hits at 1 Mile, and my hat’s off to you. Tell me you do it? Well, OK.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Shooting at One Mile is quite difficult. Saying it’s not is simply disingenuous. Shooting at 100yds is not difficult. Anyone with even a shred of basic skill can hit a man sized target over & over again. Even a hundred shots taken, & not one will miss. At a mile, there are variables beyond our control. Wind being the largest. And the flight time adding to that. There is a certain amount of pure CHANCE at a mile or more. Very, very few can hit the same man sized target even 2 back to back shots at one mile. Regardless of caliber/cartridge. Now make that 5, or 10 shots in a row? Fagettaboutit! Probably a handful of people in the world! Probably a handful of people in the world! And non of them are posting here!

Watch videos on YouTube showing a Mile shooting. They look like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C262u2n69w

It’s HIT…MISS…HIT…MISS…MISS…MISS…HIT, etc. all over the place. I’ve watched hundreds & hundreds of videos. And a back to back HITS at 1 Mile are few and far between. And some are questionable do to editing. Show me your unedited 10 consecutive hits at 1 Mile, and my hat’s off to you. Tell me you do it? Well, OK.
    If you watch any videos from the King of 2 Miles events, you will see many very experienced shooters, with some very special equipment, fail to make enough hits on the first target at 1550 yds to move on to the next target at 1700.

Depending on when they are scheduled to shoot, the conditions can be such that hitting a 24 x 36" plate consistently at 1550 yards just doesn't happen.

It's humbling to watch the some of the top names in ELR struggle to make consistent hits at less than a mile.

Banned
    Precisely. Which is why I don’t take people at their word. Too much story telling telling in shooting, when a person can easily see hundreds of videos ALL showing the same thing.

But somehow, it’s not hard at all?

Basic Member
    It all depends on the conditions you're shooting in. On a decently calm day, shooting out to a mile isn't that hard if you have the equipment to do it. The problem is those days are few and far between.
    Even in perfect conditions, very few shooter's can make a cold bore shot on steel at a mile or farther.

Basic Member
    I think what pd was saying is that a 300WM is enough of a cartridge to shoot at a mile. He is also a good enough shooter to do the job.

Basic Member
    Don't overlook hawk Hill barrels. They are starting to get way more popular in the PRS competition.

Banned
    simple question how many of those prs rifles are 1500 yards rifles ???

unlike some of the poster on this thread i compete out just past 2000 yards...
    an actual shooter at LONG range

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Don't overlook hawk Hill barrels. They are starting to get way more popular in the PRS competition.