Time for an update on the 300 H&H project. Hunting season came and went and I didn't use this. I have done further testing with cast bullets and am getting satisfying results. the rifle is much moire fun to shoot with cast loads. I'm using 159 gr. cast bullets with gas checks and conventional lube. These bullets came from Mount Baldy Bullets in Keystone SD. powder charge is 18.5 gr of Unique per the Lyman cast manual. primers are Federal large rifle. 3 shots over the chronograph were 1900 FPS , 1866, and 1905. group results for first group was 3" with 3 shots in the center measuring 1.375. The use of a 6 power scope and my aged-ed eyesight didn't help. Since I will be using this for Virginia whitetail cast will be more than suitable for any shots I'm likely to get from the stand I hunt.
With cold weather here , the rifle is apart for final stock finish. Since this rifle is basically an African themed deal I will be installing a barrel band front sling mount. Some exotic African leather has been promised by a good friend and a properly made sling will be added at a later date.
This has been a fun project and some what challenging from a parts standpoint. with the reduced cast loads it is a fun gun to shoot . the stock design reduces some of the felt recoil with full house jacketed loads also. Stock finish will take several weeks to a month. Meanwhile I have started 2 other builds which are progressing but do not include Savage actions this time.