I'm mounting a Savage 110 tactical short action and a 1" Shilen barrel to a Savage AccuFit stock, and the recoil lug recess in the stock is too narrow (0.174") to allow me to use the recoil lug which came with the barrel, which measures 0.244". I've looked at the many lugs available on the Pacific Tool & Gauge site, and the thinnest lug they offer is 0.187", going up to .5", but nothing in the thickness of the recoil lug slot in the stock, so this suggests that the 0.174" dimension is not a standard one.

My question is, why would Savage build a stock for which recoil lugs are not available? Or, if they are available, where would I find one that fits this stock?

I could try to mill my existing lug down to the proper thickness, but holding it immobile on the mill table is a challenge, and because it's stainless of an unknown alloy, I risk work-hardening the material and wrecking the lug. Alternatively, I could try to mill a larger slot in the stock, but since the forend of the stock is tapered, it'd be difficult to set it up so the slot is true to the mill table.

It'd be a lot easier to buy a recoil lug that fits. Can anyone suggest where I might find one? thx
Jeff