Thread: 6.5 PRC thoughts on a model 10?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6.5 PRC thoughts on a model 10?

I picked up a model 10 action, hogue aluminum bed stock and a new x caliber 6.5 PRC barrel. Anyhow I have had several savage rifles and while I prefer a remington 700 or model 7 I like how easy it is to change barrels myself.

With all that said action was a 300wsm so no issues with the large shank barrel but after waiting nearly a year for the barrel I am hesitant to run it or just try and trade for another large shank wsm barrel?

What are yalls thoughts? The contour is what x caliber calls a #13 Hunter, its a varmint contour if you ask me little over an inch at chamber with straight taper to .750 at muzzle 22 inches. It would probably be a fantastic setup for target shooting but it was meant to be a hunting rig.

Banned
    I don’t get it?? You ordered a 6.5prc barrel, & waited a year for it. But now you don’t want to run it & rather trade for a 300wsm? Uh, why?

More or less after waiting so long for the barrel and now seeing brass is always backorder and out of stock but also factory ammo is $75 plus a box maybe it was a bad idea. Im a reloader so I know if I can get my hands on some brass it will last for years with the volume I shoot.

My main ask i guess would be who has used thec6.5 prc on game and how does it perform for you?

Really I am torn. The 6.5 PRC looks great on paper and my 6.5 Creedmoor is a great hunting rifle. I suppose I am having buyers remorse due to not having brass available for the caliber and seeing prices go up into the $70 range for 20 rounds i am thinking maybe I should have stayed with a more common caliber? I had my model 7 in 300saum reamed to 300wsm for the same reason.

Banned
    The 6.5prc will down anything in N. America. Remember, Europe was was using 6.5mm in the early 1900’s. It’s only the US that has has a fixation with 30cal, 338cal & bigger in mag magnum cartridges. Shot placement still reigns supreme.

Basic Member
    Don't sweat it. Just wait and think about it. Do some research about other calibers and see if you still want to go that way. You could always go with the .270 or 7 WSM or some other caliber.

Could always pick up a take-off barrel in a common caliber you have ammo/components for to get some use out of the action and stock until you can score some PRC brass. Options are more limited being a large shank though.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Just scored 4 boxes of Hornady from Academy three days ago for $49 a box. Got me enough cases for a while now. The manufacturers do need to crank more out.