Thread: Safety Selector Switch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Don & Chisel,

We have SUCCESS! Great team troubleshooting. We learn something new every day that we can pass along to others. Saved me a return trip to Savage for repairs, which I'm happy about since other ammo calibers are still hard to find/justify paying.

I did notice the discrepancy last night, but it was already 1:30 AM for us workday peeps. Needless to say, that sear safety screw (marked with pencil arrow in image) was not high enough. Luckily for me (even without a slot for screwdriver), I was able to remove, clean and reapply at an effective height with some blue loctite to start. There was some old red loctite in the slot, but apparently the set screw did not hold and lowered over time, I presume.

I am a PC alum - 1997!

Happy shooting, folks!

mrnate8

Basic Member
    Cool beans. Glad you got it up and running. I had posted about that screw earlier, then deleted because what Don G said made way more sense than what I was saying. But that screw was just sitting there with no other possible purpose than a safety lever adjustment. So now we know. Either way, you're back up and running. Thanks Don G for the heads up on the Basix trigger.

BTW, do you think this is a potential liability problem? Or did you fiddle with the screw at some point in the past? Not to be alarmist, but dang, that screw just seems like a really short path to an accident.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Chisel View Post
    Cool beans. Glad you got it up and running. I had posted about that screw earlier, then deleted because what Don G said made way more sense than what I was saying. But that screw was just sitting there with no other possible purpose than a safety lever adjustment. So now we know. Either way, you're back up and running. Thanks Don G for the heads up on the Basix trigger.

BTW, do you think this is a potential liability problem? Or did you fiddle with the screw at some point in the past? Not to be alarmist, but dang, that screw just seems like a really short path to an accident.
    Full Chisel; I don't remember seeing the screw and I don't see it in the picture but the next time I tear down the gun I'll look for it. It's probably why I couldn't get the Basix trigger to function. Basix never mentioned that screw when I explained the problem I was having - they told me how to apply the safety on & off!!

Basic Member
    Go Friars!

Don G - you can vaguely see the screw height (and its gap) in the image above. Follow the pencil mark I made on the trigger group and you can see the difference in light. That's if we're talking about the same screw here.

Now I'm curious to know if the Basix trigger install is compromised by that screw!

Basic Member
    It's been a while since I tried to install the Basix trigger and I trashed the instruction BUT I just watched a video "rifle basix trigger for Savage Mark II FV" and I now see the safety screw, which is the screw I spent hours messing with in the attempt to get the safety to function. I don't know what the problem was with the Basix but once I re installed the stock trigger I was back in business.

We watched the last Friars game and a few of the players need to hustle a bit more or instead of the pro's they be the tallest elevator operators in NY city!! In my day, they mastered the fast break and were hard to keep up with.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnate8 View Post
    Go Friars!

Don G - you can vaguely see the screw height (and its gap) in the image above. Follow the pencil mark I made on the trigger group and you can see the difference in light. That's if we're talking about the same screw here.

Now I'm curious to know if the Basix trigger install is compromised by that screw!

Basic Member
    Cooley is a glorified cheerleader who doesn't know X and O's and situational coaching. His players all regress too.

In regards to the sear screw, I was surprised how easy it was to thread out with my own fingers.

Test fired operation with new polished bolt. Good as gravy, but back to drawing board to fiddle around with action screw torques (Boyd's Pro Varmint (tactical) stock). My groups opened up a wee bit to my disliking. Barrel has been good enough to shoot a dime out previously. Time for a torque accuracy test!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnate8 View Post
    C
    ... but back to drawing board to fiddle around with action screw torques (it's 25 inch lbs with Boyd's Pro Varmint (tactical) stock). My groups opened up a wee bit to my disliking. Barrel has been good enough to shoot a dime out previously.
    I noticed you said earlier the barrel lug got bedded. Not sure if it was before, but I had zero luck bedding that lug and getting any decent groups. Did a complete torque workup to no avail. It actually shot better with lug, but not bedded. I finally removed lug completely and things really tightened up. FYI though, I did install some pillars that the action screw studs slide down into to form a tight bond to stock. Wolf ME shoots really well in mine.

Basic Member
    I don't think it's a liability problem because I didn't make any deliberate modifications to the trigger group to compromise its safety. But what do I know?

I think either the red loctite effectiveness wore off and the sear screw settled over time or was caused by the firm safety selector switch. It's also possible the corresponding spring has condensed over normal wear and tear and contributed to the sear gap increasing.

After researching the safety selector switch, I have seen MANY modifications that would violate liability concerns such as tapping out the spring depth and dremeling part of the sear.

I've had no problems with the factory setting of the AccuTrigger. The only time I've cleaned or disassembled this trigger is when I started troubleshooting this safety when the thread started.

Side note: while researching the safety problems, I came across a video for a CZ455 bolt. I sanded the bolt with wet/dry sandpaper and polished it with a Dremel tool. The action is super silky smooth like butter now!

Basic Member
    I am a PC alum - 1997!

Happy shooting, folks!

mrnate8[/QUOTE]

Yup, I graduated from Providence College way, WAY before you were born.