Thread: 243 Heavy Barrel Axis: rebarrel in 6mm creedmoor?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    They can be for sure. Is the 6mm CM better on barrels than the .243?
    I would think it would be slightly easier especially if it uses a slower burning powder and creates less pressure. Here is a decent article comparing the two.

https://www.snipercountry.com/6mm-creedmoor-vs-243/

Basic Member
    I think that's why some folks migrated to the 6BR and it's derivatives. A little better barrel life than even the 6CM and 6x47.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I think that's why some folks migrated to the 6BR and it's derivatives. A little better barrel life than even the 6CM and 6x47.
    I haven't really seen a 6BR outside on competition. I've heard of some getting 4K rounds out of the barrel. Hunters tend to chase FPS first and accuracy second without much mind to barrel life. If I had the time and money to chase accuracy I would stick with the 6PPC.

I appreciate all the replies. About the 6BR, what’s the factory match ammo situation like? I’m thinking 6CM probably has the best factory choices of all the 6s, which is the main factor for me as I don’t reload. I know 6CM’s a barrel burner, but I’m ok with that. It’ll take me at least 3 years or so to burn it out, maybe more if I buy another precision rifle to split up the range time such as the Masterpiece Arms PMR (which isn’t that much more expensive then a Savage Elite Precision)

Basic Member
    I rarely see 6BR on the shelf even before covid. Right now premium 6CM is more common than anything else. I suspect it is because 6.5CM is being snatched up as soon as it arrives. Same with .308 and other more popular cartridges.

Don't know what it will look like when things recover a bit.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axisfanboy View Post
    I appreciate all the replies. About the 6BR, what’s the factory match ammo situation like? I’m thinking 6CM probably has the best factory choices of all the 6s, which is the main factor for me as I don’t reload. I know 6CM’s a barrel burner, but I’m ok with that. It’ll take me at least 3 years or so to burn it out, maybe more if I buy another precision rifle to split up the range time such as the Masterpiece Arms PMR (which isn’t that much more expensive then a Savage Elite Precision)
    6 Creed is plentiful in my area. Even when ammo was at its scarcest point I could still find some locally. Everyone else was crying about "where's the 6.5 Creedmoor" I was fine.