Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 223 vs 556 Case For Reloading - Savage 110 Elite Precision

Your not talking factory loads, you mentioned RELOADING. Your good with any brass until you push hard. Then things start to change between the brands of brass. One 5 round group will look great, perfect primers. The big thing every one forgets is that pressure sighs don't show up when your close to over, they show WHEN YOU ARE ALREADY OVER! The next one will have 3 blown primers, also blowing out the extractors while trying to shoot them. Only difference was the brass.
    Shooting prairie dogs with safe loads you will never know the difference. Shooting 0.250@100 yd groups? you will learn there is a difference in brass
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    Well, I’d say the pressure signs come LONG before it’s “over”, as you say. Flattened primers, sticking in chamber. Hell, a blown primer is a great warning sign to STOP & see what’s going on. My take on it anyway.

Team Savage

Sig77, the guy who asked the questions, hasn't logged in since Oct 31st.

Banned
    Yeeeup! I noticed that Phil. But guys seemed to be talking, so I chimed in. Good for new, perhaps lesser experienced members maybe?

Team Savage

Hard to say Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Have you ever seen any reload data 5.56 vs .223? Me either.
    Match brass. Fire form. Shave to desired length. Reload on.
    I shoot a really hot military load from a 10action .223

Cheers mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try the Hornady Manual. It has data for 223 Remington AND 5.56 NATO. Sierra does also, in a round about way, they list it as 223 Service Rifle.

To say that there is no difference? Not so much. I have been 'Rolling My Own' since 1974 and have used 5.56 and 223 brass interchangeably, just watch your load data. Back off a little when using Mil Spec brass and you will be fine.

Let the flame war begin!

Randie
    Fort Smith, AR

Basic Member
    You will find that the biggest differences in the US made Lake City 5.56 cases vs the .223 case is hard ness. And if you want your brass to last a long time then do not load HOT.

223 -vs- 5.56: FACTS and MYTHS – Ultimate Reloader

Banned
    Partially correct. LC brass is both thicker & harder in key areas. LC brass is very good brass. It’s not match, but can be made darn close with a little brass prep. It makes fantastic everyday, STUFF. H.T.F., & range loads. Most guys get 6-8 loads out of it.. not pushing it too hot. I’ve known some to get 10 no problem. Typically it’s the primer pockets that give up first.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCoulter52 View Post
    Try the Hornady Manual. It has data for 223 Remington AND 5.56 NATO. Sierra does also, in a round about way, they list it as 223 Service Rifle.

To say that there is no difference? Not so much. I have been 'Rolling My Own' since 1974 and have used 5.56 and 223 brass interchangeably, just watch your load data. Back off a little when using Mil Spec brass and you will be fine.

Let the flame war begin!

Randie
    Fort Smith, AR
    I don't pay attention to 5.56 or .223. Maybe if I had an older rifle I might take a bit of care.

I looked up the Sierra information and compared to Hodgdon. 69gn Sierra Match King loads, Varget powder.
    AR-15 data 26.1gn max 2.260oal (Federal case)
    Bolt data 26.4gn max 2.260oal (Federal case)
    Hodgdon 26.0gn max 2.235oal (Win case) I wonder why Hodgdon loads them shorter? Their test barrel is also a 1:12 instead of the faster twists

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Partially correct. LC brass is both thicker & harder key key areas. LC brass is very good brass. It’s not match, but can be made darn close with a little brass prep. It makes fantastic everyday, STUFF. H.T.F., & range loads. Most guys get 6-8 loads out of it.. not pushing it too hot. I’ve known some to get 10 no problem. Typically it’s the primer pockets that give up first.
    The thickest area of the 5.56 case is the flash hole web that adds strength to the base of the case.

I have two AR15 type rifles and a Ruger bolt action with a 5.56 chamber. And at 71 years of age, I buy once fired Lake City 5.56 cases and see no difference with older eyes than with more expensive brands of brass.

Basic Member
    You guys must not push them at all. I only get 4 reloads out of them before the primer pockets enlarge. 77gn SMK's at 2800fps.

Lapua has been the only brass to give me any decent life. More than 15 reloads.

If it was the 'old days' and I got the stuff for free I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    You guys must not push them at all. I only get 4 reloads out of them before the primer pockets enlarge. 77gn SMK's at 2800fps.

Lapua has been the only brass to give me any decent life. More than 15 reloads.

If it was the 'old days' and I got the stuff for free I wouldn't worry about it. :)
    Charlie, do you cut or Swage the crimps of the pockets? I’ve found that to make a difference. And yes, you are right. Push the loads & the cases start cracking or as most often is the case, the primer pockets, like you said.

Basic Member
    I have yet to get a cracked .223 case. And I do not anneal them. All of my .223 case failures have been from the primer pocket enlarging.

I cut the crimps. I won't change brands at this point. My barrel has almost 4000 rounds through it now and I have a new box of 100 Lapua cases sitting on the shelf. Since the first 100 have given me almost 2000 rounds I think I might wear out the barrel before I need more brass :)

Banned
    Yeah, I think that is a big part. Most people cut the crimps. And from some of what I’ve seen, those who Swage, get much better primer pocket longevity.

Basic Member
    It would have to triple the life to make a difference to me.

Banned
    Well, you’re comparing to Lapua brass for crying out loud, LOL! Seriously; to me the LC is good mostly for practice, and to those who want a little nest egg of ammo loaded. 500, 1000 rounds, possibly more. Instead of have just 100 pieces to keep recycling.

Also talking 223, there are two different kinds. Those of us with BOLT actions who are loading for extreme accuracy every time. And those of us with an AR15 of other Semi auto. I only have my my ARs for 223, don’t have a 223 bolt gun. I load for accuracy, but within magazine length 2.25” max. So it’s not going to be supreme accuracy. I have my BTHP bullets for accuracy proofing mostly. But I pick up the Hornady 55gr FMJBT whenever I see it for a good deal. I load THOSE in my LC brass in some quantity, to keep around as range plinking ammo.The good pills I keep for Lapua or my good Norma brass when I’m feeling FROGGY!

Basic Member
    Yeah, I know. :)

I would probably not be using the expensive stuff if I had bought up a bulk package of LC brass years ago. I think they were going for $50 for buckets of them.

I kinda miss the 'old days'. I'd just pick up a couple of ammo can loads of brass at the range. I had 5gal buckets full of 7.62, 5.56, and .45acp. Later on the military started checking how much brass you turned in. The scales were pretty accurate :)

Banned
    Years ago I got 1000 LC 7.62 to resize & make 260 Rem cases. They work perfectly. Then, for the last 3 years I was looking for LC 5.56 with no luck. I got to the point that I was looking for ANY 223 brass. A very kind member here, Shooter0203 offered the 223 he had as he didn’t shoot 223 any longer. I accepted graciously, thinking it was maybe 100 cases of Remington, Hornady & the like. Ended up being about 400 LC cases & some mixed headstamp also. I was beyond thankful! I still look for it anywhere I can. I also have 120 cases of Norma as well. Those are my grouping cases. And I’ll likely pick up some Lapua at some point because, well, Lapua is awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12