Thread: Savage Model 14? Not Model 14 American Classic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Interesting JB. Thanks for posting. In my searches for any Model 14's possibly produced prior to the 14 American Classic being offered, all of my results only showed results of info about the 14 AC which got me wondering if there had ever been a Model 14 prior to the 14 AC. I never entered any search's for the Model 114. In all the time I've read info and posts on this forum I've gotten alot of mileage and info from the Savage Catalogs you added to the 'History' section of the forum. Thank you for that! Have you ever considered adding any Savage Catalog pdf's from 2017 on?

Thanks Jim. I was hoping you would chime in. I can't remember poop these days and your data is usually on target.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Jim, your last state is incorrect. The "M" prefix receivers were single shot from repurposed muzzle loaders. The 14 W's were made on salvaged receivers that were originally supposed to be large shank short magnum calibers. These receivers were meant for controlled round feed bolt heads. The reason I say "salvaged", is that the ejector cut was made on the wrong side. So instead of scrapping them, they just used the push feed bolt heads and made them in non magnum calibers. They added the turkish walnut to entice sales, and at the time they were 20 bucks less than a birch stocked rifle.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Jim, your last state is incorrect. The "M" prefix receivers were single shot from repurposed muzzle loaders. The 14 W's were made on salvaged receivers that were originally supposed to be large shank short magnum calibers. These receivers were meant for controlled round feed bolt heads. The reason I say "salvaged", is that the ejector cut was made on the wrong side. So instead of scrapping them, they just used the push feed bolt heads and made them in non magnum calibers. They added the turkish walnut to entice sales, and at the time they were 20 bucks less than a birch stocked rifle.
    Does this add any credibility to my left over parts in a bag post or what? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Savage 94C View Post
    Interesting JB. Thanks for posting. In my searches for any Model 14's possibly produced prior to the 14 American Classic being offered, all of my results only showed results of info about the 14 AC which got me wondering if there had ever been a Model 14 prior to the 14 AC. I never entered any search's for the Model 114. In all the time I've read info and posts on this forum I've gotten alot of mileage and info from the Savage Catalogs you added to the 'History' section of the forum. Thank you for that! Have you ever considered adding any Savage Catalog pdf's from 2017 on?
    The 114's were never big sellers for Savage as they were a higher grade gun than their usual offerings and at the time Savage was still rebuilding the brand and it's reputation after the 1980's that lead to them going bankrupt. Most guys looking for a higher grade rifle (walnut, gloss bluing, etc) weren't going to look at Savage and instead would turn to Browning, Remington, Weatherby, etc.

I have most all of the catalogs from 1960 and up, but my printer/scanner took a crap and given how little use it got I'm not planning on replacing it anytime soon. It's also a very time consuming pain in the butt to scan them as I have to scan, edit, watermark, etc. each individual page. Once you get into the mid 1990's and newer catalogs they start getting thicker and thicker, plus somewhere in there they went to a glued binding rather than just stapled which makes them almost impossible to get a good scan on w/o destroying the catalog.

Savage started offering the catalog in PDF format around 2003, and at this point I don't even know if they still even offer a printed catalog as I haven't seen a new one in years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks JB--Understandable.