Bunch of good info there, cuz I was thinking of getting an axis in long action. Also, you mentioning laminate damge, I take it then the inside of the stock is laminated. I didnt know that, and thought Ii could sand the inner walls to fit barrel channel etc. If I do sanding, that might open things up more to moisture etc., like Dave was cautioning me about.I think there might be some errors on Boyds website about inner Barrel wall demnsions and descriptions , that sound conflicting. I'm going to try talking to them about it. Thanks
Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
Yes, not much stress cause it is a .223. Also, the Axis has (until recently) a separate piece of steel that works as a recoil lug, not permanently attached to the stock or action. Kind of like a keyway on an motor shaft. I understand the newer Axis has the lug fixed in the stock. Neither of which, to me, is a great solution. One reason I won't buy another Axis.

And, yes, with the 110 action I'd just install and shoot. Then decide if you want to install pillars and/or bed the action. For the .308 I'd probably bed at least the recoil lug area.

FWIW, there have been some of the Boyd's laminate stocks delaminate with use. Pillars and/or bedding will probably reduce the likelyhood of that happening.