Thread: .308 to 6mmBR advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Fuj';493121]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I don’t believe there is any empirical data or case study to support the superiority of one over the rest. /QUOTE]

Ahh but there is. Each discipline puts down it's own data by simply reading national match results.
    In most national results, you can find equipment lists. Bartllen barrels are most prominent with 5R.
    Brux will mainly be 4 groove. Krieger has a 4 groove in the mix. In short game BR, a good old 6 groove
    can still be highly competitive, but rarely used in the long games.

The idea is, there is not enough data to say that one rifling profile is better than another. Maybe if you got someone to shoot a test rifle indoors with three different rifling profiles you could make a case for it. Competition results will show a trend, sometimes. But, eg, does a Bartlein 5R barrel outshoot a Brux 4 groove because 1) the rifling profile is better, 2) the barrel is more precisely made, 3) the shooter is better or 4) that shooter had better wind conditions than the other top shooters, etc. etc

I am another who would stay with 6BR for informal use. Ready made brass. Proven easy to load for. And won't burn out a barrel in a couple seasons of shooting. I want the lower recoil of the 100-110 gn bullets, lower case capacity to give higher load densities, and longer barrel life. The Dasher gets an extra 200fps, not something that is important to me. If the velocity was important I'd go with a larger case cartridge (6x47, CM, .243) and plan on changing the barrel more often. I already have a .308 if I feel the need to shoot heavier bullets. And I am limited to 1000yd so anything more is just excess.

My only decision is a Krieger or Bartlein :)

Basic Member
    So I have a box of 6BR Lapua brass and a no-go. I do not have a go gauge. Using a comparator measuring about 50 pieces all were .005 shorter than the no-go. Realizing there’s a difference lot to lot and I’m sure this virgin brass is probably a bit shorter than my die and the go gauge that I don’t have, can I set my headspace with the virgin brass as my go? Or should I put a piece of tape on the brass?

Basic Member
    Bump⬆️

Banned
    Yes, you can use the brass as your “Go” gauge. And you already have a “No Go”, correct? Just be careful, as you can easily compress the brass.

My preferred method has been a “Go” gauge & then using shims I make from feeler gauges. .002”, .003”. Works really well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes, you can use the brass as your “Go” gauge. And you already have a “No Go”, correct? Just be careful, as you can easily compress the brass.

My preferred method has been a “Go” gauge & then using shims I make from feeler gauges. .002”, .003”. Works really well.

Yes I do have a no-go. Do you think I should add some tape to the brass to be in the safe side? I’m sure virgin brass is a tad shorter than a go gauge??

Banned
    I wouldn’t worry about it. Because you have the NoGo. As long as the brass loads easily, & the NoGo doesn’t fully engage, it will be fine.

Also, make sure you aren’t compressing the brass. Brass can compress under force. You want it to load with ease. So the bolt handle simply falls.

Basic Member
    So now I’m wondering while installing the barrel, loctite or no loctite?