Thread: Starting a new thread because I don't know how to change the header on my old one.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Starting a new thread because I don't know how to change the header on my old one.

Mike Britton here.
    I have had a couple threads going about re-barreling my 1959 110L from .30-06 to 6mm Remington.
    I should bring one of those threads back to the top, but I don't know how to change the header.

Anywayyy, further research compels me to look harder at the .243 as a viable cartridge for my barrel swap.
    My concern is the .243 in a long action like the early 110. I have seen, and actually own a large ring 98 Mauser that was 8mm Mauser but is now .308, and cycles like butta!

I would like to hear from any of you guys that have .243's in long actions. How do they cycle? What twist do you like?

The .243 is beginning to look very much more practical than the anachronistic 6mm Rem, brass/ammo will be available for a long time!

Thanks for putting up with an old man that needs lessons on how to negotiate the forums! Mike
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

I built my 243 on a stagger feed long action and have no feed problems at all. I used a factory Savage sporter barrel that I believe is something like 1 in 9.5" twist.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Banned
    It will feed perfectly. 243’s parent case is 308. Feeds just as 308 does in a long action. Very nicely.

Is there anything I need to do to the magazine to make it work okay? I tried some of those red plastic.308 dummies in the .30-06 110L and found that they cycled best if I put them in toward the front of the mag.
    "Omnia Mea Mecum Porto"

Banned
    Well, yes...obviously the internal box is longer, being 30-06. So yes it will have more distance. You could modify it with a block. But I’ve never heard of anyone having major problems I guess if you intend on “speed cycling” the action, you may run into a slight hang up here & there. I think you be fine.

I've never encountered any feed issues while hunting with my long action 243. Extraction was another issue until I replaced my original extractor, ejector and spring and added larger detent ball.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67