Thread: Stock swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Just so happens that today I received a Boyd's Thumb Hole stock from their Rapid Fire page. It did just drop in as advertised. Being as it a returned to stock or cancelled order there are a couple of dings in the fore end.

Now with the barreled action in the stock I realized what I expected. I just don't find the Thumb Hole comfortable. Or at least not this one.

Banned
    So why’d you get a thumb hole stock when you had reservation it would not be comfortable for you? Was it simply the price?

BTW, still recommend bedding. And bedding W/ Aluminum pillars is a double PLUS!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    So why’d you get a thumb hole stock when you had reservation it would not be comfortable for you? Was it simply the price?

BTW, still recommend bedding. And bedding W/ Aluminum pillars is a double PLUS!
    `
    Correct. basically the price and it is already cut for the Varmint barrel, which I already have.. I think I am going to try shooting this just to see if it is more comfortable once it's on the bench. For some reason this thumb hole just doesn't feel right. Like there is an odd angle to it with an edge inside the hole. I have handled a number of savage rifles with the factory Boyds stocks on them and tehy did feel this way.

Banned
    Well shoot.... break out the Dremel, wood files & sandpaper. And start shaping until it’s a more comfortable fit for you my friend. If you’ve never done, it may seem a daunting task. But it’s really quite straight forward. It shapes easily and no problem to refinish.

Basic Member
    Two things I've noticed today. The backside, exit side, of the thumbhole has a sharp corner on it and in what would be a natural position for me the reach to the trigger seams a bit long.