Thread: Interested in a project rifle

Interested in a project rifle

Thanks for letting me join.

I’m moderately experienced shooting and reloading. My elk hunting skills probably land me in the inept category but I get out and have fun. My interest in Savage rifles is the possibility of building a project gun that can be used for everything smaller than elk.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG303 View Post
    Thanks for letting me join.

I’m moderately experienced shooting and reloading. My elk hunting skills probably land me in the inept category but I get out and have fun. My interest in Savage rifles is the possibility of building a project gun that can be used for everything smaller than elk.
    Welcome from colorful Colorado

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the group. What calibers are you considering for your build? 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, 7mm/08 and 308 come to mind.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Team Savage
    welcome aboard

Project gun

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Welcome to the group. What calibers are you considering for your build? 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, 7mm/08 and 308 come to mind.
    I like the looks of the 110 Storm. The ability to shorten the length of pull is helpful for someone who’s a bit below average height. The ability to interchange bolt heads is a really nice feature that’s leading me toward using a Savage. My thoughts on the ideal calibers are that a .308 Winchester is a solid choice, especially since I already load it for an AR. With a 20 - 22” barrel, it makes a nice choice for hunting elk in dense cover. A 7mm-08 isn’t a bad choice either.

The other round I’m considering is a 6.5 PRC. It looks like an outstanding choice for antelope or if I manage to draw a sheep tag before I’m too old to hunt one. What I need to find out is if there’s a difference that would cause any issues with feeding due to the difference in the diameter of the cases. Changing a magazine isn’t an issue. Removing metal from the receiver isn’t appealing to me.

Team Savage
    welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG303 View Post
    I like the looks of the 110 Storm. The ability to shorten the length of pull is helpful for someone who’s a bit below average height. The ability to interchange bolt heads is a really nice feature that’s leading me toward using a Savage. My thoughts on the ideal calibers are that a .308 Winchester is a solid choice, especially since I already load it for an AR. With a 20 - 22” barrel, it makes a nice choice for hunting elk in dense cover. A 7mm-08 isn’t a bad choice either.

The other round I’m considering is a 6.5 PRC. It looks like an outstanding choice for antelope or if I manage to draw a sheep tag before I’m too old to hunt one. What I need to find out is if there’s a difference that would cause any issues with feeding due to the difference in the diameter of the cases. Changing a magazine isn’t an issue. Removing metal from the receiver isn’t appealing to me.
    The PRC would require a magnum bolt head but will work in a short action. It may feed from a standard mag but would probably hold one less round. The other two calibers would work just fine in a short action too. The 6.5 PRC outclasses the 308 and 7mm/08 for long range and heavier game hunting but has substantially more recoil too.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67