Thread: Factory loaded .308 match ammo for long range

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    I think that's what I did - though not at long range. My best guess of which will work best, at long range, is based on the 100 yard group and its potential at extended range.

That's all I can test before the class. Really, I'm just excluding the one or ones that didn't do well.

I'm not just going by the bc listed on the box.

If you intend using the gun for long range anything, you are better off if you shoot/test your bullets and loads at a longer distance than 100 yds.
    Initial shooting at 100 is ok and setting your scope up for a 100 yd zero is also.
    But you might find some bullets performing better as the distance increases than they do at 100 yds, 400 yds would be a better distance to shoot.
    As for the BC, it is never a fixed number as you find printed on a box.
    Thats actually false advertising that they can get away with because it is possible to achieve that number provided the proper velocity has been reached.
    Never mind average Joe buyer might not reach it with his cartridge.
    You have to actually shoot your gun at the various distances in order to find out which bullet works best.
    The 308 is a great cartridge, especially for someone learning to shoot long range due to the wide selection of bullets available in 30 caliber.
    And it is also a very good cartridge to keep up practicing with after you become proficient and have guns using larger cartridges.
    But it is also just what it is, a 308, and just like every other cartridge that means it will only perform (well) out to a certain distance.
    With the right combination of scope and mount system you might (lob) bullets out to a mile or even more with it.
    And if on the particular day you shoot the wind conditions are good you might actually do pretty well.
    But count that up as a winning lottery ticket, because thats what it amounts to.
    Realistically, with good conditions, you can expect your 308 to be a good performer at least on targets out to about 1000 yds.
    Make up your mind that 1000 yds is a very long shot, much longer than the average long range shot on animals anywhere in this country while hunting.
    But then there is real world, and there is also dream world, and thats where many of us choose to live.
    The lighter bullets should reach a higher velocity, and the velocity will more than offset any potential BC difference to some point down range.
    Again, you can increase or decrease the BC # of a bullet by changing the velocity.
    Take advantage of the opportunity to try those 168s at 1000 yds compared to the 175s.
    Its all fun, and its all practice, and it can also be enlightening

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    If you intend using the gun for long range anything, you are better off if you shoot/test your bullets and loads at a longer distance than 100 yds.
    Initial shooting at 100 is ok and setting your scope up for a 100 yd zero is also.
    But you might find some bullets performing better as the distance increases than they do at 100 yds, 400 yds would be a better distance to shoot.
    As for the BC, it is never a fixed number as you find printed on a box.
    Thats actually false advertising that they can get away with because it is possible to achieve that number provided the proper velocity has been reached.
    Never mind average Joe buyer might not reach it with his cartridge.
    You have to actually shoot your gun at the various distances in order to find out which bullet works best.
    The 308 is a great cartridge, especially for someone learning to shoot long range due to the wide selection of bullets available in 30 caliber.
    And it is also a very good cartridge to keep up practicing with after you become proficient and have guns using larger cartridges.
    But it is also just what it is, a 308, and just like every other cartridge that means it will only perform (well) out to a certain distance.
    With the right combination of scope and mount system you might (lob) bullets out to a mile or even more with it.
    And if on the particular day you shoot the wind conditions are good you might actually do pretty well.
    But count that up as a winning lottery ticket, because thats what it amounts to.
    Realistically, with good conditions, you can expect your 308 to be a good performer at least on targets out to about 1000 yds.
    Make up your mind that 1000 yds is a very long shot, much longer than the average long range shot on animals anywhere in this country while hunting.
    But then there is real world, and there is also dream world, and thats where many of us choose to live.
    The lighter bullets should reach a higher velocity, and the velocity will more than offset any potential BC difference to some point down range.
    Again, you can increase or decrease the BC # of a bullet by changing the velocity.
    Take advantage of the opportunity to try those 168s at 1000 yds compared to the 175s.
    Its all fun, and its all practice, and it can also be enlightening
    I agree, but 100 yards is all I have available for testing at this point. I'm not a member of the club where the class is being held.

I'm confused though. If a specific cartridge doesn't group well at 100 yards, how can it get better at 1000 yards? How can that be?

As far as 168s vs 175s at 1000 yards, based on ballistic charts, the 168s run out of gas and go subsonic long before the 175s. It looks like even the 175s will be right on the edge of going subsonic right about 1000 with the current conditions.

I'm firmly planted in reality, and as I've said, I don't think getting solid hits at 1000 is going to be easy with my set-up and skill level. Just getting started in long range shooting, and trying to be as prepared as possible for my first time out.

Thanks.