Thread: Which model for packing...280 ackley for long range

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Your right. If you 3/4 of the components sitting around you can build a lot cheaper. I thought I was following somewhat of a path that might compromise the OP's desire for a new rifle, getting something high quality but a slightly different path. I chose the NXS for a spot and stalk rifle. A little heavy but a trek in the wilderness differs from your setup. Not discounting the skill and experience you and the hunting friends have. The durability and all that comes with the NXS model makes it great for packing in a long range rifle. The NXS leaves little on the table for want. Very good glass, tracks well enough and tough. If I had the experience you have I might make use of the VX3 but I would probably step up to the VX5.

Also having a spare action ready to go didn't sound like was something he had on shelf. If you didn't have an action laying around then acquiring a Remington and getting it near the quality of the origin it would be more than the cost of the custom. You still would not have the ability to swap bolt heads if you wanted to go magnum later. I am not the only one here that has built a dozen or more Savages that has stepped up to the Custom Action platform due to the shortcomings of the 110. Jims advice a few years back with regards to leaving the Savage you bought alone was, as i later figured, out was smart. I am not that guy because i need everything to work flawlessly. So I keep putting time into them smoothing and truing and fixing PE and trigger timing and feeding issues.
    Well if i wanted to go up to a magnum size case later, i would simply go back to my gunsmith and have him open up the bolt face on the 700 action.
    I wouldnt however consider using that action for the lapua size case as they are doing with the 300 norma.
    I do agree with you on the custom actions assuming there are no budget constraints.
    My first ever long range build in the early 70s was on a new Hart #4 custom single shot action with a magnum bolt face.
    It was also a sleeved action which allowed for the 1.250 straight taper barrel to fit thru it and into the action.
    Its main purpose was getting the scope mounting blocks off the barrel.
    Hart actions were 308 length, but i was using a 300 Weatherby case.
    I later had my smith open the back of the loading port so i could get cases in and out without pulling the bolt.
    It was the most accurate gun i have owned to date, and no doubt the action contributed to it.
    I later used the same action for a 378 diameter case without changing the bolt face size.
    We simply turned down the case head just like they later did with the 300 ultra case.
    Fact is thats exactly what i had, about 20 years before it actually existed. lol

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well if i wanted to go up to a magnum size case later, i would simply go back to my gunsmith and have him open up the bolt face on the 700 action.
    I wouldnt however consider using that action for the lapua size case as they are doing with the 300 norma.
    I do agree with you on the custom actions assuming there are no budget constraints.
    My first ever long range build in the early 70s was on a new Hart #4 custom single shot action with a magnum bolt face.
    It was also a sleeved action which allowed for the 1.250 straight taper barrel to fit thru it and into the action.
    Its main purpose was getting the scope mounting blocks off the barrel.
    Hart actions were 308 length, but i was using a 300 Weatherby case.
    I later had my smith open the back of the loading port so i could get cases in and out without pulling the bolt.
    It was the most accurate gun i have owned to date, and no doubt the action contributed to it.
    I later used the same action for a 378 diameter case without changing the bolt face size.
    We simply turned down the case head just like they later did with the 300 ultra case.
    Fact is thats exactly what i had, about 20 years before it actually existed. lol

One of the reasons people do savage builds is to eliminate hundreds or thousands off the cost of a semi custom gun. If you choose to go back and forth to the gunsmith when changing bolt faces go for it. I like Remington's. I don't like the idea of paying someone to do work than could be done by me...but that also brings me satisfaction.

The custom actions are being machined with such close tolerances you can actually buy a shouldered prefit that will bolt up to and headspace every action of the same nomenclature. Semi custom rifles have become modular.

To get a 700 action to the level of a Bighorn Origin you will have double the money in it. Side bolt release, control round feed, a with standing ejector, interchangeable bolt heads and completely true(square and concentric)... Frugal people or other wise capable people see no reason to pay someone a large chunk of money for a compromise. Just like modifying a side by side or a car truck. You can pay someone to mount all the little bolt ons, or you can do what you can yourself. If that is not your cup of tea then by all means drop your rifle off at the smith and pick it up in 6 months. Tip him please because most of them have a hard time making it on their rates, My opinion is they are worth 100 dollars an hour. I can't afford that.

You do realize you are the ultimate in the straw man argument.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    One of the reasons people do savage builds is to eliminate hundreds or thousands off the cost of a semi custom gun. If you choose to go back and forth to the gunsmith when changing bolt faces go for it. I like Remington's. I don't like the idea of paying someone to do work than could be done by me...but that also brings me satisfaction.

The custom actions are being machined with such close tolerances you can actually buy a shouldered prefit that will bolt up to and headspace every action of the same nomenclature. Semi custom rifles have become modular.

To get a 700 action to the level of a Bighorn Origin you will have double the money in it. Side bolt release, control round feed, a with standing ejector, interchangeable bolt heads and completely true(square and concentric)... Frugal people or other wise capable people see no reason to pay someone a large chunk of money for a compromise. Just like modifying a side by side or a car truck. You can pay someone to mount all the little bolt ons, or you can do what you can yourself. If that is not your cup of tea then by all means drop your rifle off at the smith and pick it up in 6 months. Tip him please because most of them have a hard time making it on their rates, My opinion is they are worth 100 dollars an hour. I can't afford that.

You do realize you are the ultimate in the straw man argument.
    Well i dont change my guns around just because something new came along.
    The cartridges ive been using are as good as it gets for what i do.
    So i really havent had all that much need over the years for gunsmithing services.
    Most of the guns i own are factory guns, including some Savages.
    I dont shoot barrels out because i dont shoot them just for something to do.
    And when i do i dont shoot the ones that are hard on barrels.
    I have had the bolt faces opened up on a few guns with Rem or Rem type bolts.
    But i never had any desire to reverse it at a later time.
    Building guns is not my hobby, so for what little work i need done ill pay for it and have it done right.
    Dont get me wrong, im not completly helpless as for working on guns.
    But while were on the subject, ive done one build with a Savage where i took a model 11 243 to a 6.5 WSM.
    The gun shot very well, thanks to a good barrel and chamber job.
    I had bought all new magazine parts, but that part was still a nightmare.
    When i got it fixed, guess what, that gun went down the road quick.
    I only wish i had removed the SS trigger before it did.
    Now on the other hand years earlier i had traded my 7 rem mag with custom stock to a camp member who loved it.
    I took his rem 700 bdl in 270 in trade.
    I took it to my gunsmith for a conversion to a 300 Wetherby case necked to 7mm in a heavy sporter configuration.
    He opened up the bolt face and installed a Sako type extractor.
    Of coarse installed another barrel which i had, and also did a new laminated thumbhole stock.
    We did nothing to the original magazine, nothing.
    Yet it holds 3 rounds of the much larger cartridge and feeds flawlessly.
    Of coarse the bullets need to be loaded to fit the magazine.
    I of coarse realize where i am here, so ill say no more about my opinions.