To each their own, but I really don't buy in to the whole short action craze that's really ramped up in recent years. I have some short actions and they have their purpose. But I really don't see the so called benefits being that advantageous. I'm more in favor of the way Hornady designed the 300 PRC over most of the new cartridges. If you really want to not lose powder capacity, that's the way you need to go. It's case is slightly shorter than the 300 win mag, but slightly wider so it has a smidgen more powder capacity. But a magnum length action is still needed because the bullets are seated so far out. A longer action in which you can seat the bullets out far without encroaching on the powder capacity makes more sense to me. To my mind, the 6.8 Western is somewhat a compromise to keep it in a short action. What do I mean by that? Well, it's a 270 WSM case that they shortened to give it more head height without encroaching in to the powder capacity too much. But really, by shortening it, you're still reducing case capacity compared to the 270WSM. Seems to me the same bullet seated deeper in the 270WSM case would have similar capacity compared to the shorter 6.8 Western case with the bullet seated further out, since the COAL has to be close in order for them to fit in to the same action length. Maybe doing it the way they did doesn't reduce powder capacity as much as seating it deeper in the 270WSM case? That's the only thing I can think of. To my mind though, it seems I'd have more advantage sticking with the 270WSM case, have a barrel made with an 8" twist, and a longer throat for the longer bullets, and screw it in to a long action.