Thread: 6.8 Western

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    I've no clue who they are.

Jim is “J.Baker”. He is owner & Admin. for our wonderful forum. Fred is “sharpshooter” and among the more knowledgeable members. These two know the most about different models offered through history & general “goings on” with Savage Arms.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Jim is “J.Baker”. He is owner & Admin. for our wonderful forum. Fred is “sharpshooter” and among the more knowledgeable members. These two know the most about different models offered through history & general “goings on” with Savage Arms.
    Will try to remember this.

Savage seems to product some rifles in all he newest cartridges. Looking for a new rifle and new cartridge.

Basic Member
    You can always get one chambered in another WSM round and re-barrel it. The thought has crossed my mine for that and also the 27 Nosler. I really don't have a use for it, but I'm intrigued by it. Too many other projects in the works at the moment though.

Team Savage
    You could always build one on a Savage platform.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    You could always build one on a Savage platform.
    Yeah that's an option I haven't ruled out. From what I've read that both the 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC are called "short action" cartridges but would be better to build them on long actions. What y'all say about that?

Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    Yeah that's an option I haven't ruled out. From what I've read that both the 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC are called "short action" cartridges but would be better to build them on long actions. What y'all say about that?
    Absolutely!! I built a .260 Remington on a long action a few years back, so I could take advantage of as much case capacity as possible and still feed from the magazine.

Basic Member
    To each their own, but I really don't buy in to the whole short action craze that's really ramped up in recent years. I have some short actions and they have their purpose. But I really don't see the so called benefits being that advantageous. I'm more in favor of the way Hornady designed the 300 PRC over most of the new cartridges. If you really want to not lose powder capacity, that's the way you need to go. It's case is slightly shorter than the 300 win mag, but slightly wider so it has a smidgen more powder capacity. But a magnum length action is still needed because the bullets are seated so far out. A longer action in which you can seat the bullets out far without encroaching on the powder capacity makes more sense to me. To my mind, the 6.8 Western is somewhat a compromise to keep it in a short action. What do I mean by that? Well, it's a 270 WSM case that they shortened to give it more head height without encroaching in to the powder capacity too much. But really, by shortening it, you're still reducing case capacity compared to the 270WSM. Seems to me the same bullet seated deeper in the 270WSM case would have similar capacity compared to the shorter 6.8 Western case with the bullet seated further out, since the COAL has to be close in order for them to fit in to the same action length. Maybe doing it the way they did doesn't reduce powder capacity as much as seating it deeper in the 270WSM case? That's the only thing I can think of. To my mind though, it seems I'd have more advantage sticking with the 270WSM case, have a barrel made with an 8" twist, and a longer throat for the longer bullets, and screw it in to a long action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    You can always get one chambered in another WSM round and re-barrel it. The thought has crossed my mine for that and also the 27 Nosler. I really don't have a use for it, but I'm intrigued by it. Too many other projects in the works at the moment though.
    Yeah I've been weighing the decision on buying factory or building. If I decide to build I may just go with the 284 Win.