Thread: Suggestions for sub-$500 scope

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Suggestions for sub-$500 scope

Hi all. I'm looking around for a scope to mount on my .243 for 300-600 yard shooting. I'll be punching paper only and am going to be working handloads to get as precise as I can (for the fun of it). I don't anticipate this scope being dragged through the outback or airdropped into Somalia, so it doesn't need to be bullet-proof - just decent quality.

I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP on another rifle that I've been pleased with (I know that people are split on Vortex, and I'm not looking to start any arguments), and my initial inclination was to just pick up another of those, but I wanted to see if anyone had alternate suggestions that I may want to entertain as well.

Thanks!
    -Brian

Basic Member
    You have a fine scope. For $600 there are dozens of minty quality scopes on Ebay. With Buyer Protection, you can't go wrong.

Basic Member
    The D-Back is sufficient for what you are doing. They are not known for the best tracking in the world, but it's ok. If you want to try something different look at Arken in that price range.

Basic Member
    Thanks - like I said, I'm really pleased with the one I already have and was thinking of picking up an MOA version (I have the MIL version on the other rifle, but found I prefer MOA) for this rifle.
    -Brian

Basic Member
    I'm a big fan of my Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Look at the Sightron S-TAC with MOA-2 reticle.

+1

I have a couple Athlon Talos series 6x24, and they work fine out to 300 yds as I tested one out yesterday, can't say for any further yet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
    I have a couple Athlon Talos series 6x24, and they work fine out to 300 yds as I tested one out yesterday, can't say for any further yet.

Just picked up an Athlon Talos 4-12x 40 Mil/Mil for a project, but not mounted yet. So far it looks pretty decent. I also have a couple SWFAs in 10x and 12x, both of which I've been very happy with.

Banned
    I am an Athlon fan. But I would say, you’ve been pleased with your Diamondback. So, you may not want to switch? I say go with the one which is equipped with the features you want in your price range. Every few years another brand is released which becomes the “New” best budget brand. I believe quality is relatively equal in this price range. Sure, everyone now is talking about all the Vortex failures. Yet, Vortex has been so popular these last 7-8 years....their numbers sold is astronomical. So of course there be more cases of failure. But they do come through with the warranty. As does Athlon, Sightron & I’m sure the new player Arken will be no different.

Anything with good marks in the reticle that match the turrets. At 300$ the swfa is my favorite, magnification isn’t a big deal to me as 10-12x is plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Anything with good marks in the reticle that match the turrets. At 300$ the swfa is my favorite, magnification isn’t a big deal to me as 10-12x is plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used to have an SWFA SS on a Remington 700 (long gone) - I was pretty happy with it at the time, but I prefer variable zoom, which pushes the price above what I'm looking for.
    -Brian

Sightron S-Tac, Arken, Athlon, Element optics.