Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, all BS aside, what is a great scope for long range shooting?

Ok, After some consideration I pulled the trigger on the Bushnell DMR 2... primarily because Midway had it on sale for 815 bucks... but I also got some rings and scope caps for a little extra.....

Japanese optics, no Chinese plastic junk.

And unlike with the ARKENS, I dont have to wait 5 months for my scope!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    The Bushnell DMR II is a little outdated feature wise, but it's probably the best scope out there under $1k. To beat what it brings to the shooter, you'll have to look at scopes in the $1500 range, and most scopes today in that range only offer different versions of a Christmas tree reticle that tend to be rather busy for some of us.

Done!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Nightforce, Kahles, Schmidt and Bender, ZCO, Swarovski, Steiner.
    And don't forget March !!
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    Well, I know all those companies exist... I can look in their catalogs all day long.

But I was hoping to hear from someone here who has a particular model (with many of the characteristics described) who could give me his own first hand insight into his chosen optic...

Salesmen will tell you anything; Consumers and end-user are more likely to tell you the real story... which is what I am after.
    How much are you willing to spend ?? Do you want Schott or Deon ED Glass ??
    You mentioned "a bit more reach". So what power range do you think you need ??
    I have no problem shooting to 1000 yards with one of my Bushnell 6-24x50 Elites.

Like I told you on the phone, the Bushnell DMR II is one of the best bang for the buck scopes that you'll find right now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020586712?pid=144123

Other than that, you're looking at scopes that will cost twice the price and more.
    Athlon Cronus BTR
    Delta Stryker HD
    Sightron SIII
    Tract Toric HD
    Nightforce
    S&B
    Kahles
    Minox
    Leica
    And others.
    Let me add Trijicon to that list. The AccuPower Is as rugged as they get,though
    heavy and a 34mm body. Which brings up another point. Before pulling the trigger,
    make sure you have the mounts and rings figured out first.

Basic Member
    The reason for the tapered reticle as described in Want2rides post is because the scope is a first focal plane model.
    The reticle will increase in its size as the power is increased in first focal plane scopes, whereas in second focal plane scopes they stay the same size thruout the power range.
    The tapered reticle design however is nothing new, and i doubt it is patented.
    The Bausch & Lomb Balvar line of scopes popular back in the 60s and 70s were first focal plane scopes, and were only available with the tapered cross hair reticle.
    The reticle was actually a separate (lens), with the cross hair (etched) onto it.
    The B & L Balvar 6x24 variable target model scope had the same reticle, as did all the others in that line of scopes.
    I used one of those scopes on one of my long range guns for about 30 years, only recently replacing it with a Nightforce due to the urging of my sons.
    I had an after market rear micrometor type mount very similar to the old Unertles.
    From my 100 yd zero i had over 500 1/4 minit clicks of elevation in that setup.
    I needed 200 of them to get out to 1700 with the gun when it was a 30x378.
    If i had my time to do over, that scope would still be on that gun.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    I have no problem shooting to 1000 yards with one of my Bushnell 6-24x50 Elites.
    Fuj, maybe you could tell us about ED glass, and how much of it is actually used by (ALL) scope makers in the building of a scope.
    Lean over bub and ill sell you one with the very best glass. lol

Basic Member
    [QUOTE. I have a 50 BMG that has never been properly pushed out close to its limits... I have a fixed SWFA 16x on it....
    Sell that turkey Gene, and use the money to buy something worth having.
    You just cant impress things to death, it takes actually hitting them in order to accomplish that.
    And you wont be hitting much with that thing.

That's what I bought!!! 815 on sale at Midway!!! Just about perfect on paper.... lets see next week when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Sell that turkey Gene, and use the money to buy something worth having.
    You just cant impress things to death, it takes actually hitting them in order to accomplish that.
    And you wont be hitting much with that thing.
    Buck,

Are you talking about the bolt action 50 cal Barrett M99 with a huge 32 inch barrel? Cause that thing is reputed to be THE MOST ACCURATE 50 cal rifle in the world!!!!!

But if you mean the cheap 16x SWFA scope... Again, its not fancy but the tracking is solid and quite up to Mil Specs (which I know often doesn't mean much but its better than chinese...

But indeed that scope was temporary ( in fact they all are and get replaced as soon as better optics come around ).

But I have also been seriously thinking about selling my Barrett. I have had it for 13 years and fired fewer than 150 rounds through it. If I sold it I could buy a couple top tier scopes with that money and free up a lot of room in my gun safe. And I still have about another 150 rounds that at this rate I will never shoot, clean once-fired brass, dies... everything including the mil spec type Pelican case. If I make up my mind, I will post it here in the proper section.

Fuj, maybe you could tell us about ED glass, and how much of it is actually used by (ALL) scope makers in the building of a scope.
    Lean over bub and ill sell you one with the very best glass. lol
    Couple of years ago it really jacked up the prices of good scopes. It's fairly
    common now. Some glass is just as good as the claimed ED glass. I have
    a NF 15-55x52 Comp with claimed ED glass, and my Bushy's are right there
    with it. Picked up a Burris 8-40x50 F-Class scope to put on my testing rifle.
    For $850 the glass is also right up there.

Ok, all BS aside, what is a great scope for long range shooting?

I always hear/read about glass quality.

All I’ve ever wanted is a nice clean reticle and turrets that move correctly.

I like shooting off the reticle but I also enjoy dialing. Especially since I’ve been into small calibers. .223 and 22lr.

My 300yd dope on my .22lr is 14mils
    If the wind is stroking around I have to dial that around to get hits.

Yea a 1.5k scope is great but it’s not doing anything my 400$ swfa isn’t doing. Maybe messing with magnification and the turrets might feel better. That’s not a 1k value to me.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Buck,

Are you talking about the bolt action 50 cal Barrett M99 with a huge 32 inch barrel? Cause that thing is reputed to be THE MOST ACCURATE 50 cal rifle in the world!!!!!

But if you mean the cheap 16x SWFA scope... Again, its not fancy but the tracking is solid and quite up to Mil Specs (which I know often doesn't mean much but its better than chinese...

But indeed that scope was temporary ( in fact they all are and get replaced as soon as better optics come around ).

But I have also been seriously thinking about selling my Barrett. I have had it for 13 years and fired fewer than 150 rounds through it. If I sold it I could buy a couple top tier scopes with that money and free up a lot of room in my gun safe. And I still have about another 150 rounds that at this rate I will never shoot, clean once-fired brass, dies... everything including the mil spec type Pelican case. If I make up my mind, I will post it here in the proper section.
    Im talking about the rifle Gene, not the scope you have on it.
    So you have shot 150 rounds, how happy have you been with the groups you got?
    Would you enjoy shooting say a 10 shot group with it?
    Do you think you would even be up to shooting a 10 shot group with it? lol
    Recoil is a big issue with many people when talking about even the regular magnum cartridges.
    Yet these things shoot bullets of 750 gr. with well over 200 grains of powder behind them.
    I have several friends who are Williamsport record holding shooters and have invested huge sums in custom 50s on big Bat actions and they cant hit a deer with the things because of the recoil.
    Five seasons with the thing and they have killed one deer that you could have easily killed with your 280, about 700 yards.
    Another very good friend of mine watched this past season as they shot at one at about 900 and missed.
    They only got the one shot before it ran off. He is also a very experienced shooter and long standing at Williamsport also.
    He said just by watching Scott get ready you knew he was anticipating the huge recoil.
    They told him they are already anticipating their next barrel, and it wont be a 50.
    Another friend had the same smith build him one at the same time frame using the same components.
    His reason was that they were missing deer with their 338x378 at the longer distances they werent capable of to begin with.
    A relative of his told me that he was with them when they missed one numerous times at 1400, and it was obvious that they just couldnt handle that gun. The guy had heard there was a small buck hanging out on the hillside opposite our camp, and called me about trying to find it and shoot at it at about 600 for the practice. I told him that if we wished that buck dead he would already be dead as a result of one of the kids shooting it with a 308. lol
    The relative i mentioned is a neibor about 1/4 mile down the road, and he and his son have a Barrett 50 and have shot it from our yard on several occaisions. Ive turned down each offer to shoot the thing, and havent been impressed by watching them shoot it either.
    They enjoy that type of thing, they ride down to i believe Louisville KY. every couple years for the big full auto shoot fest.
    I personally wouldnt go even if i lived there, so as they say different strokes for different folks.

Basic Member
    Couple of years ago it really jacked up the prices of good scopes. It's fairly
    common now. Some glass is just as good as the claimed ED glass. I have
    a NF 15-55x52 Comp with claimed ED glass, and my Bushy's are right there
    with it. Picked up a Burris 8-40x50 F-Class scope to put on my testing rifle.
    For $850 the glass is also right up there.
    Well fuj the fact is that if you were to put 2 of the same scopes side by side on the same day, you probably wouldnt be able to pick out the one having ED glass. And the reason for that is that both scopes would have exactly the same glass except for only the inner element of the objective lens.
    Thats it, thats all the ED glass used in any scope by any manufacturer.
    Reason being that the ED glass isnt nearly as sturdy as standard glass and much more susceptable to damage when used in other areas.
    You might detect some improvment in a first or last light situation, but otherwise no.
    My late lifelong friend Jerry who died in a Jeep wreck while hunting with me, was a Kowa optics rep.
    We spent hours upon hours comparing various optics at long range from the yard of our camp.
    Ditto with all the top name spotting scopes, only the inner element of the objective is ED glass.
    The eyepieces on all their models is the same eyepiece as for glass.
    They can get by with advertising it because government marketing laws permit them doing it since some of the more expensive glass is in fact used.
    So when you hear some guy claim he has the best because he paid more for the ED glass, know that he wouldnt have if he had compared them and knew the true facts.
    Buy one like mine, you will love it just like i do. lol

Basic Member
    Yobuck, You always seem to have differing opinions about what people like to buy / own. Most guy's don't buy / build expensive gun's or scope's for bragging rights, we buy them because most of the time, they serve a purpose and are the quality that we want.

It's true, I don't need my custom rifles or the $3k+ optics setting on top of them. I've got plenty of $350 - $500 Savage actioned rifles with $1k - $1500 scopes on them that shoot just as good. It's a want thing, not a need thing. And if you think there's no difference between the different price tiers of optics, then that tells me all I need to know about you.

For you to tell Gene " He needs to get rid of his Barrett" makes you look like a fool in my book.
    I owned and shot a 50 BMG for many years, and to say that you can't hit anything with it is complete BS. If you have friend's that are hunting deer with a 50 BMG, that also tells me a lot about you & your friends.

I personally don't care what people spend their money on, that's their decision & choice. I only offer my advise on different things that I know do the job, and don't make you spend money twice for buying the stuff that doesn't.

I've had mine on a RRA 5.56 speed steel rig since they were
    released. Still on the same rifle but looking down a second
    barrel. Model ET6245F 6-24x50mm FFP Mil (illuminated). Your
    pricing is excellent. Back then I had to give $1250, and that
    was street.

Basic Member
    Yobuck, You always seem to have differing opinions about what people like to buy / own. Most guy's don't buy / build expensive gun's or scope's for bragging rights, we buy them because most of the time, they serve a purpose and are the quality that we want.

It's true, I don't need my custom rifles or the $3k+ optics setting on top of them. I've got plenty of $350 - $500 Savage actioned rifles with $1k - $1500 scopes on them that shoot just as good. It's a want thing, not a need thing. And if you think there's no difference between the different price tiers of optics, then that tells me all I need to know about you.

For you to tell Gene " He needs to get rid of his Barrett" makes you look like a fool in my book.
    I owned and shot a 50 BMG for many years, and to say that you can't hit anything with it is complete BS. If you have friend's that are hunting deer with a 50 BMG, that also tells me a lot about you & your friends.

I personally don't care what people spend their money on, that's their decision & choice. I only offer my advise on different things that I know do the job, and don't make you spend money twice for buying the stuff that doesn't.
    Well thanks for you opinion, i hope you feel better now that youve offered it.
    But id still like to be watching some day as you and Gene shoot those 50s

Im talking about the rifle Gene, not the scope you have on it.
    So you have shot 150 rounds, how happy have you been with the groups you got?
    Would you enjoy shooting say a 10 shot group with it?
    Do you think you would even be up to shooting a 10 shot group with it? lol
    Recoil is a big issue with many people when talking about even the regular magnum cartridges.
    Yet these things shoot bullets of 750 gr. with well over 200 grains of powder behind them.
    I have several friends who are Williamsport record holding shooters and have invested huge sums in custom 50s on big Bat actions and they cant hit a deer with the things because of the recoil.
    Five seasons with the thing and they have killed one deer that you could have easily killed with your 280, about 700 yards.
    Another very good friend of mine watched this past season as they shot at one at about 900 and missed.
    They only got the one shot before it ran off. He is also a very experienced shooter and long standing at Williamsport also.
    He said just by watching Scott get ready you knew he was anticipating the huge recoil.
    They told him they are already anticipating their next barrel, and it wont be a 50.
    Another friend had the same smith build him one at the same time frame using the same components.
    His reason was that they were missing deer with their 338x378 at the longer distances they werent capable of to begin with.
    A relative of his told me that he was with them when they missed one numerous times at 1400, and it was obvious that they just couldnt handle that gun. The guy had heard there was a small buck hanging out on the hillside opposite our camp, and called me about trying to find it and shoot at it at about 600 for the practice. I told him that if we wished that buck dead he would already be dead as a result of one of the kids shooting it with a 308. lol
    The relative i mentioned is a neibor about 1/4 mile down the road, and he and his son have a Barrett 50 and have shot it from our yard on several occaisions. Ive turned down each offer to shoot the thing, and havent been impressed by watching them shoot it either.
    They enjoy that type of thing, they ride down to i believe Louisville KY. every couple years for the big full auto shoot fest.
    I personally wouldnt go even if i lived there, so as they say different strokes for different folks.

Back in November of 2008 when Obummer was first elected, I figured that the first thing he would do as soon as he walked into the Whitehouse was to outlaw these things. I didnt particularly need one right then, but I figured that if I was ever going to own one, that then was the moment to get one... so I did.

But I have only been shooting military surplus ball though it (which is not particularly accurate). Of course I figured that when I started reloading 50 cal, that I would make a much more accurate load... I just never got around to it cause the truth is that I don't really enjoy shooting it. It's brutal, and reloading the 50 is very very expensive...

So frankly I keep it mostly for "blamtifas" -if they ever come to out mess up my neighborhood... It would be one of those glorious Crocodile Dundee "That's not a knife" moments... That round would go through several Cadillac engine blocks... ha ha!!

But I am open to selling it. Its really too much gun. So I agree with you Yobuck!!!

Basic Member
    Back in November of 2008 when Obummer was first elected, I figured that the first thing he would do as soon as he walked into the Whitehouse was to outlaw these things. I didnt particularly need one right then, but I figured that if I was ever going to own one, that than was the moment to get one... so I did.

But I have only been shooting military surplus ball though it (which is not particularly accurate). Of course I figured that when I started reloading 50 cal, that I would make a much more accurate load... I just never got around to it cause the truth is that I don't really enjoy shooting it. It's brutal, and reloading the 50 is very very expensive...

So frankly I keep it mostly for "blamtifas" -if they ever come to out mess up my neighborhood... It would be one of those glorious Crocodile Dundee "That's not a knife" moments... That round would go through several Cadillac engine blocks... ha ha!!

But I am open to selling it. Its really too much gun. So I agree with you Yobuck!!!
    Well understand i dont particularly care what people choices are.
    I assume they have what they have because i fills a need for what they do.
    I also understand that not everybody would agree with my opinions, and further, not everybody agrees with the way i and many others like me hunt.
    You came here rather recently seeking opinions and information.
    Making statements about your lack of experience in shooting beyond as i recall about 350 yards.
    You also stated your dislike for magnum rifles and the amount of powder they consumed.
    Which was why you chose to build a 280 AI.
    I never attempted to sway you from that decision, other than to point out that it would never be a 7 Rem Mag.
    Ditto when you asked for opinions on a scope for it.
    Unlike others whoes opinions were all over the place, i recomended just using one of the ones you had untill you gained experience with the gun.
    As for you asking about the Ruger rifle, they offer it in 300 Win because its an excellent long range cartridge, better than a 7 Rem Mag, and i attempted to convince you of that.
    But after all the not wanting the expence of loading magnims, not wanting to shoot long distance, not having the money for an expensive scope, you announce that you own a Barrett 50 cal?
    I said to myself WHAT, after all this he tells us he owns a 50?
    Certainly you cant shoot it Gene, and neither can i or anybody else on this site, at least with any degree of what many of us might consider accuracy.
    But you do whatever you feel best to do with it.
    And good luck with the new gun and the shooting of it.

Well thanks for you opinion, i hope you feel better now that youve offered it.
    But id still like to be watching some day as you and Gene shoot those 50s
    Funny you should say that: Hillbilly and I were just on the phone the other day discussing places to go shoot now that his favorite long range place has shut down... And I was going to finally see how far I could push that Barrett with the old Korean War vintage ball ammo!!!

Well understand i dont particularly care what people choices are.
    Well, that there is a stretch....lOL Most of your postings are
    just that !! As for shooting the big 50 accurately (subjective)
    The guy's shooting the 2 mile courses will tell you differently,
    and many with a Barrett. It's been known that the Barrett M82
    is low recoiling. A bit pricey to enter my stable but if Hathcock
    would have had one, he probably would have tripled his score.

Gene have you settled on a basic load to start your works ??

Basic Member

Hathcock’s score was what it was because of the type of enviornment in which he performed his duty Fuj.
    Quite the opposite of what our sniper Chris Kyle had when he set the US record as for kills.
    Whereas Hathcock operated in a jungle type enviornment, using a stalk method, Kyle operated in an urban enviornment offering multible targets on a daily bases.
    And if you had read Kyles book, you would know that he had multible weapons at his disposal for use.
    Including a 300 win mag, a 338 Lapua, and a 50 caliber, all having Nightforce scopes.
    His favorite, and the one he used to make pretty much all his kill shots was the 300 Win.
    He also did not dial the scope at all for the vast majority of his shots.
    Rather he had it zeroed for 400 yds, and simply held up or down as required on the body.
    Remember also Fuj, that a hit anywhere on the human body is a game changer.
    Unlike an animal that will take a good hit and simply walk off as though not touched.
    Even with large cartridges like 338s.
    And those who dont believe that, only believe it because they have never seen it in real life.
    We can impress people on the internet, but not so much out there.

PS. Kyles longest kill however Fuj, was at 2000 yards, and not with the 50, but the 338 Lapua.
    He readily admitted in the book that it was in fact a BS luck shot, which used all the elevation the scope had plus a holdover using the reticle.
    It was confirmed by a witness that the target did in fact fall from the tree he was in.
    But the book didnt actually say wether the guy was dead, or that he simply fell out of the tree due to a near miss.
    In any event it was counted as a kill shot.

I just got my rifle built last night with a temporary 6.5 CM savage barrel. I wont even worry about the 280 Ackley until I get my barrel and dies. In the meantime I will just shoot 6.5 CM in my long action... Savage Prefit barrels are great that way; 5 minutes and a head space gauge and you have a whole new caliber!!! You cant beat it!!! That's why I am here and a proud member of the BARREL NUT BROTHERHOOD - even if my receiver is not a Savage but rather a Nucleus!!!! ha ha !!!

Not sure what components you have on hand but I did love 42 grains
    of R-16 with a Nosler 140 RDF sitting on top, for the Creedmoor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast