Thread: Vortex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Vortex

What is the verdict on their quality? I have a 243 that I could shoot good groups with occasionally but about half the times they had me baffled. I blamed my technique which no doubt is not perfect but after trying many things I put a Redfield Revolution on I had and the rifle is much more consistent and gets smaller groups. Is there any point of trying to get warranty on this or are they like about every other outfit--basically a lot of advertising, talk and no action?

This isn't their cheap scope either. It is far from the top but should be decent, Viper 6.5-20 44MM.

Basic Member
    The Vortex warranty is outstanding. You can blow a .338 round through the scope, send it in, and they will replace it. So send it in...

That being said I have owned 2 PST G2s and was not impressed. One had to go back for a erector that was binding and I have not been impressed with the optical performance or how stiff the controls are. There are so many other good choices now that I have no intention on buying another Vortex. But if you beat the hell out of gear a Vortex might be good insurance.

Vortex warranty is great.

Some of their scopes are great. The rest have given Vortex the "Great Warranty" Reputation.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Some of their scopes are great. The rest have given Vortex the "Great Warranty" Reputation.
    This is a Viper 6.5-20 44MM. I know it is by far not their best but it is considerably higher priced than the china junk they peddle. What is the Viper reputation? The Revolution seems to be at least as clear with better eye relief and they advertise it as holding up to a pretty powerful caliber. I wish it had a little more magnification but overall it is a nice scope for the money. A 243 should be nothing for either scope.

Basic Member
    The only Vortex scopes that I would have any trust in would be the Razor series. They are very good quality scopes. All of the lower quality series are known to have issues / failures, and that's where Vortex's "Great" warranty comes into play.

If you can live with the knowledge that you may have to use Vortex's warranty once or even several times while you own / use one, then I guess you're just the kind of sucker that they appeal to.
    I buy product's for their quality, not because of their warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    This is a Viper 6.5-20 44MM. I know it is by far not their best but it is considerably higher priced than the china junk they peddle. What is the Viper reputation? The Revolution seems to be at least as clear with better eye relief and they advertise it as holding up to a pretty powerful caliber. I wish it had a little more magnification but overall it is a nice scope for the money. A 243 should be nothing for either scope.
    The Viper is China quality.

Good posts hamiltonkiler and nksmfamjp
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

This is my thought. I have had some of their products.
    So these are my questions for you to think about.

If you spend the time to mount, sight in, burn ammo, do you want to take off and replace if need be because yours slipped through quality control?

If your on a hunt, or at the club, or at the range. You might be on a paid guided hunt and your optics fail because they slipped quality control, are you going to be happy?

If your glassing or toss your glass in a shooting bag and they fail because of materials engineered or quality control are you going to be happy?

If it’s the middle of hunting season and you have to deal without optics for a week for a return are you going to accept it?

Hey, I understand it can happen to all optics.
    I appreciate their warranty. I have used it multiple times.

If a company can afford to just ship out a new set no questions asked there is a couple of things going on. Well two.
    One. The quality is so good they don’t expect many returns.
    Or two
    They are producing so cheap and over charging in the first place it’s no sweat to send a first or second until you give up.

My opinion vortex does both.
    They have high end. And low end.

Vortex is a great company
    From marketing to warranty

Most all optics. You get what you pay for.

Cough cough
    I choose SWFA products for scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    This is my thought. I have had some of their products.
    So these are my questions for you to think about.

If you spend the time to mount, sight in, burn ammo, do you want to take off and replace if need be because yours slipped through quality control?

If your on a hunt, or at the club, or at the range. You might be on a paid guided hunt and your optics fail because they slipped quality control, are you going to be happy?

If your glassing or toss your glass in a shooting bag and they fail because of materials engineered or quality control are you going to be happy?

If it’s the middle of hunting season and you have to deal without optics for a week for a return are you going to accept it?

Hey, I understand it can happen to all optics.
    I appreciate their warranty. I have used it multiple times.

If a company can afford to just ship out a new set no questions asked there is a couple of things going on. Well two.
    One. The quality is so good they don’t expect many returns.
    Or two
    They are producing so cheap and over charging in the first place it’s no sweat to send a first or second until you give up.

My opinion vortex does both.
    They have high end. And low end.

Vortex is a great company
    From marketing to warranty

Most all optics. You get what you pay for.

Cough cough
    I choose SWFA products for scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vortex sucks, SWFA rocks!!!