Thread: Savage 12FV 204 Ruger - Blind Mag to Detachable Mag

Savage 12FV 204 Ruger - Blind Mag to Detachable Mag

I bought a heavy barrel 12FV a few weeks ago in 204 Ruger on a whim. Had it threaded for my suppressor, put it in a Boyds Spike Camp, took it on one Coyote hunt, and decided it was way too front heavy (and justy heavy) to hunt with. Because I like to burn money, I sent it to Karl Kampfeld for a diet. He is doing a very fast and deep spiral flute that should remove a ton of weight and then cerakoting the barrel and action Tungsten. I have a titanium bolt handle with carbon fiber bolt knob on the way from Lumley, and when I get it the entire bolt assembly will go to the Polished Knob for fluting and armor black cerakote.

I hate that it has a blind mag, the little bitty 204 Ruger cartridges are a pain to load. So, since I'm diving in, I want to replace the stock with something I can do a detachable mag. I think I want to get a Bell & Carlson M40 in Black w/ Gray web.

I assume I'll then just need a 223/204 magazine and the bottom plate? Is calling Savage the best place to get those I guess?

Maybe different length action screws? I have a metal trigger guard on hand.

Here is a pic of the pig before she went on a diet, and it had a donor scope on it here, not sure what I'll go with now.

Or, has anyone used the accurate mag DBM on a B&C? AICS mags would be nice.

Well, for anyone keeping up with it, I wound up ordering a Bell & Carlson 1014-22 with a custom LOP. Got a new trigger guard and bottom "metal" (plastic) from E Arthur Brown, and a magazine and some Talley LW's from SWFA. Found a Burris 4.5-14x42 MTAC to go on it, I like to keep all MILs in my scopes and this is one of the lightest options I could find. Will post a pic when I get it all put together.

All put together. After Ti bolt handle and the fluting it lost 1 lb 1 oz. Considering sending the bolt off for fluting and cerakote to match. Not sure yet.

Basic Member
    well chris, it looks fancy, i'll say that. it makes the stock look boring. maybe one of them verigated multicolored stocks would add too it. i almost got dizzy for a second while looking at it. not sure if it reminds me more of a corkscrew, or one of them twisted bar spoons for mixing cocktails. either case, some drinks and a game of pool sounds good. i imagine your wallet is about a lb. lighter too, sorry. i know nothing about dbm's

How does it shoot with the new mods?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67