Thread: Lowest wait times for a barrel?

Basic Member

Lowest wait times for a barrel?

I’m looking for a small shank 6x45 barrel and can’t find one privately. Seems like every manufacturer is around 10-14 weeks out. I want an Umpa Loompa now! Who’s got the shortest wait times? I want to order a 20” heavy sporter 1:9 twist.

Last pre-fit barrel I ordered came from X-Caliber. 6mm Creedmoor 18" Savage Mag contour, spiral fluted, and threaded muzzle took 8 weeks to get, but was told 12.

Good news is you want a 6mm, most barrel makers have the rifled blanks on the shelf. 7 & 8 twist will probably be what they have the most of with everyone wanting to shoot LR. If you want a heavy sporter go with the Savage Mag contour. KISS and the barrel maker will have it to you much sooner than expected. That's the best advice I have on wait times.

My other suggestion go at least 1:8 twist. I've never found myself waiting a slower twist afterwards, bt a couple of times I have regretted not having gone faster. It also gives a little more insurance on the bullet stability end. I built a 6X45 because the .223 isnt legal in my state for big game, if it wasn't for that reason I'd just build a 1:7 .223 rifle.

Basic Member
    The barrel I wanted was in stock from NSS and it shipped the next day. Not sure what it would be if not in stock.

Basic Member
    I bought a savage varmint contour blank 8 twist at bugholes Bartlein had it in 2 days handed it to the gunsmith was shooting it 3 weeks later

Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    The barrel I wanted was in stock from NSS and it shipped the next day. Not sure what it would be if not in stock.
    I ordered a barrel from NSS (Sight Sponsor) that wasn't in stock. The barrel arrived just as Jim stated during the order process. Six to eight weeks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megastink View Post
    I’m looking for a small shank 6x45 barrel and can’t find one privately. Seems like every manufacturer is around 10-14 weeks out. I want an Umpa Loompa now! Who’s got the shortest wait times? I want to order a 20” heavy sporter 1:9 twist.
    But... Why not 6arc?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    1) Because I have a 6.5 Grendel
    2) I already load for .223 and can use the same brass
    3) the 6x45 seems less temperamental than the ARC.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megastink View Post
    1) Because I have a 6.5 Grendel
    2) I already load for .223 and can use the same brass
    3) the 6x45 seems less temperamental than the ARC.
    Hmm... I wanna build a mini-bolt 6ARC. I figured it would be a slam dunk for a kids deer rifle or a powder-puff, cost effective 1000yrd toy.

I ALMOST built a 6x45 a long time ago on my Savage .223 but the factory barrel shoots so good I couldn't do it. I lost interest in the 6x45 when I found out about the 6x39/arc but maybe I don't have all the facts?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk