Thread: Extra steps bedding heavier/longer barrel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies, guys. BHJ, I've decided to follow your advice, I just bought one of those B&C stocks from fellow forum member Breeze. Hopefully, that'll address some of the short comings of the Boyd's stock, while still being a very similar profile, one that I happen to like a lot. And I can always add bedding if I think it's needed. Will keep you posted, and thanks again.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. BHJ, I've decided to follow your advice, I just bought one of those B&C stocks from fellow forum member Breeze. Hopefully, that'll address some of the short comings of the Boyd's stock, while still being a very similar profile, one that I happen to like a lot. And I can always add bedding if I think it's needed. Will keep you posted, and thanks again.

Dave
    Love my B&C medalist for heavy rigs.
    As long as you don't run over it with a tank you'll be good to go for years.
    I guess if You had a chance to look it over first you might have a better idea but do you plan to paint it or leave it as is?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Love my B&C medalist for heavy rigs.
    As long as you don't run over it with a tank you'll be good to go for years.
    I guess if You had a chance to look it over first you might have a better idea but do you plan to paint it or leave it as is?
    Unlikely I'll paint it, it's the textured black finish, which I think will look really nice with the SS barrel. I've always liked black and silver, must have been a Raiders fan in a previous life . I also like finishes with some grip, I'm enough of a butter fingers some days without adding a slick finish to the mix, especially when I start adding additional weight. Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with the Boyd's Pro Varmint, and if so, how does it compare to the B&C for feel? Thanks again.

Dave

I have a couple of Boyds but not the pro varmint.
    I have a couple of thumbhole models, the AT1 thumbhole and a varmint thumbhole, so I am familiar with their laminate material.
    They are good stocks, they look great, fit and point well, but I find the amount of torque I usually wind up with on my action screws to be a little much for the laminate material. It's much softer than the Savage factory laminate like on the BVSS models and I've found sometimes this can crush around the escutcheons or even bind the action where the trigger wont reset properly. Bedding and pillars can fix it, but if I have a rifle that needs significant torque on the screws it's just much easier in my opinion to select something more solid all the way around with a bedding block from the start.
    I too have a stainless heavy barreled varmint rig in a B&C that's black web and it looks pretty good.
    Sometimes you just want something a little different.

The paint doesn't have to be slick and can actually add texture. I've done several with a sponge camo using a sea sponge, rustoleum camo paint, and topped it with Testors dull coat lacquer and they came out really well with nothing slick about it except the look. The paint has held up really well even on a carbine I cut down that has seen a lot of "truck" and "4 wheeler gun" type use.
    Good luck and I think you chose a solid quality stock for your build.

Tighten your recoil lug(Barrel Nut) to 70-90 ft/lb's. Thank me later.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Tighten your recoil lug to 70-90 ft/lb's. Thank me later.
    I assume you mean the barrel nut, this is one of those things that seems to vary hugely, ask 10 people the proper torque and you'll get 10 different answers. On my previous barrel swap I went with 50 ft/lbs., but I'll certainly be revisiting it. Later.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    I assume you mean the barrel nut, this is one of those things that seems to vary hugely, ask 10 people the proper torque and you'll get 10 different answers. On my previous barrel swap I went with 50 ft/lbs., but I'll certainly be revisiting it. Later.

Dave
    Yeah Maybe 50 is better.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have a couple of Boyds but not the pro varmint.
    I have a couple of thumbhole models, the AT1 thumbhole and a varmint thumbhole, so I am familiar with their laminate material.
    They are good stocks, they look great, fit and point well, but I find the amount of torque I usually wind up with on my action screws to be a little much for the laminate material. It's much softer than the Savage factory laminate like on the BVSS models and I've found sometimes this can crush around the escutcheons or even bind the action where the trigger wont reset properly. Bedding and pillars can fix it, but if I have a rifle that needs significant torque on the screws it's just much easier in my opinion to select something more solid all the way around with a bedding block from the start.
    I too have a stainless heavy barreled varmint rig in a B&C that's black web and it looks pretty good.
    Sometimes you just want something a little different.

The paint doesn't have to be slick and can actually add texture. I've done several with a sponge camo using a sea sponge, rustoleum camo paint, and topped it with Testors dull coat lacquer and they came out really well with nothing slick about it except the look. The paint has held up really well even on a carbine I cut down that has seen a lot of "truck" and "4 wheeler gun" type use.
    Good luck and I think you chose a solid quality stock for your build.
    I was under the impression that Boyd’s manufactures the non-plastic stocks for Savage. Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I was under the impression that Boyd’s manufactures the non-plastic stocks for Savage. Maybe not.
    Yes, the Boyds are wood laminates. He found and bought a B&C for his project which is synthetic with aluminum bedding block.

Basic Member
    Yes, the Boyds are wood laminates. He found and bought a B&C for his project which is synthetic with aluminum bedding block.
    I didn’t make that clear. What I am trying to say is that I think Boyd’s makes the stocks that Savage uses on their factory wood guns. At least I have read that. Could be BS.