Thread: Are older barrels more prone to copper fouling?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    My point is that perhaps there is such a layering of carbon and copper in the barrel that you are not really getting it back to bare metal and it's fouling quickly. And I have never had an old Savage to look at its quality I see no reason it could not be as accurate as a modern one.
    I see. I hope there is no reason it can't be as accurate, unless it's completely shot-out (which I don't think is the case).

I don't have a bore scope and don't plan to get one. I followed the directions on the CR-10 exactly, and I would imagine that if it can remove all that copper, the carbon would be gone as well. From what I could see, in bright direct sunlight with magnified glasses, it was back to bare metal. The cleaning patches were coming out clean, with no blue at all on them.

I'll try it again and see how it shoots, and how quickly the copper builds up again.

It's just odd to me that it's so obvious (the copper) in this old barrel, but not in the newer barrels.

I'll try my best to get some before - after - after cleaning pics to share here when I get time.

Basic Member
    Some barrels copper up more than others. Most of it has to do with the surface finish inside the barrel. A rough finish will grab more copper off the bullet than a smooth finish.

I have had "copper removing" solvents that would turn blue showing they are removing the copper, then stop turning blue. I would think, "great, now all the copper is gone". But then I would inspect with a bore camera and still see lots of copper in the barrel. So do not trush that just because they do not come out blue anymore, that all the copper is gone.

I have used many many copper solvents and the only one I have found to remove all the copper is KG-12. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1078144092
    I had a barrel that would grab copper to the point it would build up so thick you could feel the cleaning patch hitting/catching the copper globs.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...and-new-barrel
    What I ended up doing is plugging the bore with a foam ear plug at the muzzle, then point it muzzle down in a glass jar. Remove the bolt, then fill the barrel completely full of the KG-12. Let it set and soak for 30 min to a hour and then pull the ear plug letting it dump into the jar. (I actually collect and re use it a few times when doing this).
    After soaking in that, all the copper will be gone. Clean it out with your favorite bore cleaner (I use hoppes)

Now that is is completely clean of copper, you need to work on the rough bore some. I like to use JB bore paste. That will help clean and polish/smooth out the inside of the bore. Then you can do a shoot one and clean procedure like you would be breaking in a new barrel. This will help smooth out the rough finish and get it shooting great and be easy to clean and not grab copper so bad.

Basic Member
    I always thought I was cleaning a barrel thoroughly until I got a borescope. It really showed me how the carbon can build up and becomes really difficult to get off. And now that I use CLR to remove the carbon I can say without a doubt they are clean.

It is really simple, rough machined non lapped or pitted barrels copper up. Age in of itself is not the problem. CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) will clean your bore and leave it shiny.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Interesting how everyone seems to have their own magical solution.

I have some wipe-out on the way. I'll see what it can do.

CLR is rapidly becoming a go to for competitive shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    CLR is rapidly becoming a go to for competitive shooters.
    Good to know. I have a Shaw barrel in 308 that's been a "copper mine" from day one. I have close to 250 rounds through the barrel and after a 15 round range cession, I can see heavy copper streaks in the grooves. I'm using Wipe Out and then bore paste to get the bore clean after every range cession.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Good to know. I have a Shaw barrel in 308 that's been a "copper mine" from day one. I have close to 250 rounds through the barrel and after a 15 round range cession, I can see heavy copper streaks in the grooves. I'm using Wipe Out and then bore paste to get the bore clean after every range cession.

Shaw's are all accurate albeit copper mines.