After a long time of pinching pennies and reading all kinds of articles on the internet, I think I am finally ready to build my semi-custom rifle off of a Savage action. I have assembled rifles for friends but this one will be for me.

The Caliber that I am planning is 22-250 with the intention to shoot 53 and 55 grain bullets for varmints as well as 65 grain Sierra SBT bullets for targets. I am open to suggestions if you feel the caliber is out of line. Main use will be informal medium range Target shooting with friends as well as hunting coyotes and ground hogs with some high volume prairie dog shoots mixed in there as well.

For some reason itÂ’s about impossible to find a new right bolt right port model 12 Target action with 3 screws. If I canÂ’t come up with one, I thought about repurposing my model 12FV that is currently a .223. I know I would need to change the bolt face as well as the blind mag. I can not for the life of me find a blind mag online. Could someone point me in the right direction? IÂ’m not sure I care for the look of a single shot sled in the action, but then again I have never seen one up close.

I will be bedding either action in a stock with an aluminum bedding block with pillars and if I end up using my 12FV action, I will get a heavy duty aftermarket recoil lug.

What advice would you give? I want to do this right the first time and not be constantly tweaking or changing things once I get it built. What have you done or seen done on rifles that your glad you did or wish you would have done?

I will post pictures as the build progresses but I donÂ’t foresee the build being done quickly because of the availability and lead time associated with products that make up our builds.

As always I appreciate the sound, honest, and respectful answers this forum is known for giving.

Thank you for your time,
Uncle Jimmy