Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 243 to 7MM-08

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8mm RUM View Post
    How many shells does a person go through in over 3 decades?
    5,000, 10,000 I think over but I'm on the same cheep savage barrel.
    I'd like to see a picture of the bore in a 243 Winchester barrel that has had 10k rounds shot out of it. Most 243 caliber barrels are toast after 2000 - 2500 rounds. I'm lucky to get 3000 rounds out of my 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington barrel's.
    My big burner is my 22 Creedmoor, the barrel last for 800 - 1200 rounds before accuracy falls off.

Basic Member

HUMM.
    Luckier then most.

Basic Member
    ^^^What type of velocity would a 22 Creedmoore reach, assuming commonly used weights of 22 caliber bullets?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    ^^^What type of velocity would a 22 Creedmoore reach, assuming commonly used weights of 22 caliber bullets?
    I'm getting right at 3500 fps with 75 gr Amax bullet's out of a 20" barrel

Team Savage

I saw similar velocities with my 22CM using 77gr Nosler CC and Sierra MKs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    I'm getting right at 3500 fps with 75 gr Amax bullet's out of a 20" barrel
    And here i always heard everything was bigger and better in Texas?
    Where i come from we get that much velocity from 30x378s with 200 gr. bullets. lol

Basic Member
    ​Montana is smaller then Texas we only get 3200fps with a 200 gr in a 8mmrem mag.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Lightweight barrels can be just as accurate as heavy barrels if you're willing/able to let them cool.
    I believe heavier barrels are also stiffer and more accurate on average. What's more, they are somewhat easier to hold steady and have less recoil.

That said I was recently reading that a hunting length sporter barrel can be as stiff as a heavy longer target barrel where competitors are trying to sqeeze out every fps. Im not sure on the 'formula' though to compare barrel length and contour for 'stiffness'

Basic Member
    Agree 100%. I spent a lot of time screwing with the "wrench" for the smooth barrel nuts. I'm done with them. If I ever remove another, I'm going straight to the pipe wrench and replacing it with another type of barrel nut.
    If you take a dremel and cut off wheel make a small shallow cut in the bottom of the but and use a chisle and light hammer.
    Also when I took my 7mm-08 LWH barrel off I went with an X-Caliber 7.62x39 and after shooting it today for the first time since I started the build about 5yrs ago I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerider103 View Post
    If you take a dremel and cut off wheel make a small shallow cut in the bottom of the but and use a chisle and light hammer.
    Also when I took my 7mm-08 LWH barrel off I went with an X-Caliber 7.62x39 and after shooting it today for the first time since I started the build about 5yrs ago I couldn't be happier.

I've enjoyed following along with your build. That said, I've bought and sold three 7.62x39 bolt action rifles in the time you've been working on that one, taking about 20 deer and pigs along the way. :D

Basic Member
    I've enjoyed following along with your build. That said, I've bought and sold three 7.62x39 bolt action rifles in the time you've been working on that one, taking about 20 deer and pigs along the way. :D
    I know it's taken forever lol. I moved to Texas where we didn't know anyone and it got put on the back burner really but now I have ambition to finish it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12