Thread: 243 to 7MM-08

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

243 to 7MM-08

Is a barrel the only thing I need to change or are there other required components? What would be a good brand of barrel without spending a fortune?

Basic Member
    Only thing you need is a barrel and go/no go gauges. Savage take off would be cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you'll need a barrel for sure, I went with a new recoil lug and barrel nut as well, and I also had to get the headspace gauges, and action wrench. A barrel vise is a big help as well.

Basic Member
    I believe the barrel nut is a good idea. Never thought of that.

Basic Member
    Another thing, don't they make a special wrench to take the barrel nut off? Probably be a good idea to get something designed for the job rather than try to cobble something up I would think even if it costs a little. Could use it in the future as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    Another thing, don't they make a special wrench to take the barrel nut off? Probably be a good idea to get something designed for the job rather than try to cobble something up I would think even if it costs a little. Could use it in the future as well..
    If you have the smooth barrel nut and are planning on replacing it, then a good old pipe wrench will take it off. If you're going to invest in the action wrench (barrel nut wrench) then I suggest getting the slotted wrench to match the new barrel nut you are going to get.

I recommend Criterion or Shilen barrels from Northland shooter supply.

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/...terion-savage/

Yes, you will need a head space guage to do it right. The .308 family of cases
    share the same guage. .308, 7-08, 243, and the 260 Remington.

I would agree using NSS as your one stop shop. Give Jim a call.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    If you have the smooth barrel nut and are planning on replacing it, then a good old pipe wrench will take it off. If you're going to invest in the action wrench (barrel nut wrench) then I suggest getting the slotted wrench to match the new barrel nut you are going to get.

I recommend Criterion or Shilen barrels from Northland shooter supply.

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/...terion-savage/
    Agree 100%. I spent a lot of time screwing with the "wrench" for the smooth barrel nuts. I'm done with them. If I ever remove another, I'm going straight to the pipe wrench and replacing it with another type of barrel nut.

Basic Member
    I'm changing the barrel on mine and I'm surprised more people don't go down this route. If you already have gun, you can turn it into something special for less money than getting yet another factory so so.

I have a 308 and 243. I like the 243 but if not for the 308 the 7mm-08 might be an option.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Lightweight barrels can be just as accurate as heavy barrels if you're willing/able to let them cool.
    I believe heavier barrels are also stiffer and more accurate on average. What's more, they are somewhat easier to hold steady and have less recoil.

That said I was recently reading that a hunting length sporter barrel can be as stiff as a heavy longer target barrel where competitors are trying to sqeeze out every fps. Im not sure on the 'formula' though to compare barrel length and contour for 'stiffness'