Thread: Savage axis bolt

Savage axis bolt

I have had 2 ftf from 2 different boxes of ammo with different manufacturers.

I tried to take apart my bolt but could not get the allen bolt off. I noticed at the other end of the bolt the steel just under the end now spins around. Is this normal? I'll try to post a pic that shows my thumb on it.

Basic Member
    The allen bolt is put on by factory gorillas...here is how to remove it: https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...sassemble-Bolt

And as for the spinning thing I assume you are talking about the bolt baffle...completely normal. In higher end models the baffle has a fin that indexes a receiver notch and must be in the correct position. In the Axis it does not matter which way its flipped.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    The allen bolt is put on by factory gorillas...here is how to remove it: https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...sassemble-Bolt

And as for the spinning thing I assume you are talking about the bolt baffle...completely normal. In higher end models the baffle has a fin that indexes a receiver notch and must be in the correct position. In the Axis it does not matter which way its flipped.
    Thanks! I couldn't remember if that part spins. Good to know I don't have to worry about which way is up on that piece. Overall it's a decent rifle I have mine in 30.06

Welcome back celltech. It is good to see you posting and helping others again!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Welcome back celltech. It is good to see you posting and helping others again!
    Haha...hopefully I won't have to post bail again.

Basic Member
    Why was i under the impression that the front baffle was used to control the stop for long or short cartridges by just spinning it to the opposite side?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    Why was i under the impression that the front baffle was used to control the stop for long or short cartridges by just spinning it to the opposite side?
    I think you are right on that one. I have never owned a long action caliber in an Axis so it never made a difference. But in a short action cartridge it really makes no difference which side it's on...although I do have my .243 Axis with the long side to the ejection port. On my .223 Axis I took a 10 series baffle, with the really long leg, and ground down the fin and baffle length to make a "custom" one that took all of the extra travel out.