Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
Don't let the numbering confuse you, they are all "110". Savage changed the numbering for short action rifles in 1998 from 110 to 2 digits 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 etc. then changed back to 110 a year or so ago.

This is one of the topics from the FAQ, there are more on the history - Savage Model 110 History: 1990-1999
Interesting read, thanks for posting. In fact I've just rediscovered the Savage information in regards to history, articles, and such on Savage firearms in the 'Home' section of this site. Alot of good info there, can't wait until winter so I can sit and read more, to much to yet outside and with finishing up first floor interior remodel and bow season for deer. I found JBakers PDF files on Savage Catalogs and using jpdowns' posting that he thought the 14 Classic's were introduced in 2005, went through each successive year reading about the American Classic 14. They were in fact introduced in 2005, no mention of them in 2004. Reading about them in each year was repetitive times, but picked up bits here and there. Appears 2012 was the last year for any 22 caliber's. 2013 chart showed .243 as smallest caliber offered. The last catalog showing was 2016 and the 14 was still offered that year, no idea when they dropped the model. To bad, I like it. Have to hunt one down. Thanks JBaker for putting up, any chance of adding catalogs after 2016.

Discovered also that the American Classic 14 was really an upgrade of the 110. Same action/barrel, but with nice walnut stocks and cut checkering. One comment I saw on another forum somewhere was that the poster thought that later 14's didn't have the high luster blue as earlier ones. The 14 sounds like my kind of rifle. Nothing really against plastic or laminated stocks, but there's something about real wood (and all steel), walnut wood. More to admire about the rifle as a 'piece of art' than a camo rifle and such. I like my guitars all wood also, none of the composite, laminated bodies. Anyway, be looking for a Mod 14 Classic in .223 at gun shows this fall and winter, guns shops, and online Gunbroker type sites. Any more info will be read with thanks and interest.